Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
And to be fair, I'd rather have people spite-quit than constantly spite-vote and argue about it. Look how much all of the bickering and spite-voting drug on and sucked the fun out of the previous Survivor thread. At least in this one everyone seems to be having a pretty good time, personal favorites notwithstanding!
Yeah, agreed. The biggest point I'm trying to make here--terrible math and all--is that I have a particular (peculiar?) tactic for playing because I'm unable to objectively choose a least-favorite author from this list. I downvote the lowest scoring author for the same reason anyone downvotes anything in these contests:

Because I wanna.

Yeah, I know. It helps condense the list, though, and that's not nothing. As far as I know, there's no real way to accelerate the eventual end of the contest.

But more to the point: I wouldn't know who to downvote otherwise.
We've seen some terrrrrrible winners in this "survivor" contest (I mean...Beholder is the most iconic D&D monster? Really? Really?!!?! And don't even get us started on the "D&D Campaign Settings" winner.) But you can't take this stuff too seriously, ya know? If you aren't having fun, you should most definitely stop playing. That's true for anything really, but especially true for these Survivor threads.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I'm quite positive in this particular formula that N is set at the very beginning of the competition.
Correct. I should have said "where N is the number of contestants at the start." We began this contest with 540 points to grind down, and each vote reduces that total by 1, regardless of who you upvote or downvote. The only exception is if you "overkill" a contestant, in which case your vote is a wash and does not change the total.

Aside from overkill votes, the only variables that affect the speed of the contest are the number of people voting (more participants means the points go down faster), and the number of points held by the eventual winner (each point in the winner's final total counts against that 540). Until we get very near the end, racing to kill off contestants does not speed things up and might even slow them down.

Because I wanna.

Ah, now, that's different. I entirely understand the thrill of delivering the fatal blow. Whatever makes the contest fun for you is the winning strategy. :)

tglassy

Adventurer
I stopped voting because I haven’t read any of these authors. Everyone I’ve read has been voted off. Sanderson was the last holdout, and my favorite, but I have little stake in the rest.

Alexander, Lloyd 19
Cook, Glen 22
Jemisin, N.K. 11
Kay, Guy Gavriel 17 + 1 = 18
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 12
McKillip, Patricia 20
Pratchett, Terry 19 - 2 = 17
Wolfe, Gene 18

squibbles

Adventurer
Alexander, Lloyd 19
Cook, Glen 22
Jemisin, N.K. 11
Kay, Guy Gavriel 18
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 12
McKillip, Patricia 20
Pratchett, Terry 17-2=15
Wolfe, Gene 18+1=19

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I stopped voting because I haven’t read any of these authors. Everyone I’ve read has been voted off. Sanderson was the last holdout, and my favorite, but I have little stake in the rest.

A lot of these are classics nowadays, but a lot of them I just started reading. I finished Wolfe's book of the new son a few weeks ago, and Cook's The Black Company.

I'm also an unabashed Alexander fan. The Black Cauldron, Taran Wanderer, and The High King are among my very favorites.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Alexander, Lloyd 19
Cook, Glen 23
Jemisin, N.K. 11
Kay, Guy Gavriel 18
LeGuin, Ursula 22
Lynch, Scott 12
McKillip, Patricia 20
Pratchett, Terry 15
Wolfe, Gene 19

Lanefan