• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor: Schools of Wizard'ing - UPDATE- ILLUSION WINS!!!

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Abjuration 15
Conjuration 5
Divination 20 (-2)
Enchantment 10
Illusion 20 (+1)
Transmutation 12

Voting on a couple new schools before I have to start repeating, Illusionists were a subclass before there were subclasses, and 5e's iteration does an excellent job of supporting that playstyle.

And while Divination has a long history in literature, retaining the inevitable yet unpredictable nature of classical prophecies (as in Oedipus, for instance) seems at odds with preserving player agency and creating a mechanically effective class.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Abjuration 16
Conjuration 7 I do believe that this is the speciality of Jim Darkmagic
Divination 16
Enchantment 10
Illusion 18 I've just never been a fan of the illusion school...
Transmutation 12

cheezitmojo

First Post
Abjuration 14
Conjuration 8
Divination 16
Enchantment 9
Illusion 18
Transmutation 12

CSB: A wizard in my 5e group is playing as a diviner. He only has 4 divination spells. He's a 13th-level wizard. I think he just took the school for portent.

Tectuktitlay

Explorer
CSB: A wizard in my 5e group is playing as a diviner. He only has 4 divination spells. He's a 13th-level wizard. I think he just took the school for portent.

To be fair, the divination school is royally screwed up in that regard. For wizards, there's only one cantrip, all three of the 1st level spells are rituals (Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, and Identify), there are three 2nd level spells and they're not super great to have on hand most of the time (Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, and See Invisibility), two 3rd level spells (Clairvoyance and Tongues, and the latter is not going to be prepared very often either), two 4th level spells (Arcane Eye is great, Locate Creature more limited most of the time), two of the four 5th level spells are rituals (Contact Other Plane and Rary's Telepathic Bond; Legend Lore and Scrying are the other two, and the latter is probably the most useful overall), only True Seeing at 6th level, there are NO 7th or 8th level spells AT ALL, and only Foresight at 9th. So...at 13th level, with up to 7th level spells (and having no 7th level spell options), four sounds about right. I'd probably want Arcane Eye, Scrying, and True Seeing most of the time, possibly Clairvoyance, and the rest of the generally useful ones will be set aside for ritual use only. Divination kinda gets the short end of the stick as far as selection goes.

Koren

Explorer
Abjuration 14
Conjuration 6
Divination 16
Enchantment 9
Illusion 19
Transmutation 12

As a DM I hate the extra work in adjudicating clever use of illusions, but no wizard archetype gives as much freedom to creative players as the Illusionist.

Conjuration gets down-voted in this edition because summoning/pet-type archetypes took a big power hit in 5e. Better balanced, but not capable of those massive game-changing plays of some of the other classes/archetypes.

**edited for grammar**

gweinel

Explorer
Abjuration 15
Conjuration 4
Divination 16
Enchantment 9
Illusion 19
Transmutation 12

Conjuration without decent summoning mechanics is not the same. It is pity beacause conjuration/summoning school was my favorite during the last editions.

The first time that abjuration school looks charming! ;P

Last edited:

Remove ads