• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(SWd20) Building a better, badder Vader

3d6

Explorer
I didn't think that Vader really had any "enhanced" cybernetic parts. I've always got the impression that they were simple replacement prostetics to replaced damaged and destroyed parts. Vader never seems particularly fast or strong.

I think the helmet may have visual enhancement stuff, though.
The scene in RotS where you see the inside of the helmet as it turns on certanly implies that, anyway.

Breakdaddy

First Post
3d6 said:
I didn't think that Vader really had any "enhanced" cybernetic parts. I've always got the impression that they were simple replacement prostetics to replaced damaged and destroyed parts. Vader never seems particularly fast or strong.[/spoiler]

He picked up a Rebel with one hand on the Tantive IV. I would suggest that he at least has enhanced strength.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
GoodKingJayIII said:
Definitely consider giving him an Aura of Menace kind of thing, though. I don't recall Vader's statblock exactly, but as far as I remember there's no real rule for this. Part Vader's presence was the absolute fear he inspired in nearly everyone (except maybe Admiral Ozzel. He was dumb). Not everyone is necessarily going to run wetting their pants, but there should be a loss of concentration, the kind of dread that lets you keep fighting, but knots up your stomach like a ball of ice. Perhaps all within 30' (maybe more?) must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Vader's HD + Cha) or suffer a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks until Vader leaves. Those who succeed are immune for the duration of the encounter (or 24 hours?).

I always liked this ability. I think Vader deserves it more than anyone. Enjoy using him! :]

Frightful Presence is a feat in SW d20. Vader technically doesn't qualify for it, having a Charisma of only 13 instead of the 15 he'd need, but I think that's an eminently justifiable tweak.

Matthew L. Martin said:
Frightful Presence is a feat in SW d20. Vader technically doesn't qualify for it, having a Charisma of only 13 instead of the 15 he'd need, but I think that's an eminently justifiable tweak.
His Reputation could arguably end up working the same way.

Khorod

First Post
Its an acceptable tweak any way you cut it. He's also a Skywalker, so you don't even need to explain it.

IMO, two ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL books are the Ultimate Alien Anthology and the Arms and Equipment Guide.

The UAA does more than provide racial statblocks, it sweeps across culture, history, and race relations for the entire galaxy. It also brings to life some of the horde of faces in the background of the Star Wars universe. It makes any game better to detail those faces.

The Arms and Equipment Guide is truly essential for almost any character that is not a Force-User. With the Core Book, there is really very little to distinguish the non-force users from each other... and very little to play with or customize.

I'm not a huge fan of having endless numbers of Prestige Classes... but that said I consider these two books to be a missing piece of the core rules.

Operator

First Post
It might speak to either my personal bias, or just how old and senial I am, but highly recommend a few D6 books: Droids, No Disintergrations, and Platt's Smugglers Guide. The rules aren't useful without conversion, but the text is wonderful. You can usually snag used D6 stuff at any local gaming store.

Michigan residents should check Underworld (Ann Arbor/U of M), 21st Century (East Lansing/MSU), and Hero Quest (Howell).

Drowbane

First Post
Breakdaddy said:
He picked up a Rebel with one hand on the Tantive IV. I would suggest that he at least has enhanced strength.

Enhance Ability perhaps? As a Sith, Vader wouldn't be above using the Force to show off or intimidate.

That said, the RCR seems to say that his armor gives Vader's a +4 Str and Con.

Personally, any major NPC from the RCR (or other SWd20 books) would have to be redesigned from the ground up. They are not made optimally, and someone like Vader has gotta be twinked like only a Powergamer could. Of course, his stats could be reflecting his old age... in Episode 4 he is pushing 50 at least which wouldn't be a problem for a light-sider (Mace for example died around 80-90yrs of age, not looking a day over 30), but darksiders do not age well.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The Darkside Sourcebook would be a good purchase as well, as there is a boatload of info about the history of the Sith, new Dark Side Force Abilities, PrCs, a whole chapter about GMing the Dark Side, Equipment (such as the Sith Sword, the Sith Speeder, the Sith Battleship and Orbalisk Armor to name a few), info on Sith traditions and plenty of statted NPCs.

Faraer

Explorer
Star Wars doesn't go into superhuman cyborgs. Cybernetic limbs are simple replacements; cybernetic replacement on the order of Darth Vader is experimental (General Grievous was a test run) because the Republic wouldn't countenance creating such unnatural man-machine hybrids (any more than it would moon-size battle stations). The point of cybernetics is as a symbol of mechanization and dehumanization, not to gain game-mechanical bonuses. The same is true, on a less extreme level, of reliance on technology and armour in general, as with the Fetts, which is why a book like the Arms and Equipment Guide is so perverse: a book for technofetishist players in a setting that associates technofetishism with evil.

Remove ads