• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Switching weapons of the exorcist

Peter Gibbons

First Post
From the Eberron Campaign Setting said:
Weapon of the Exorcist (Su): An exorcist of the Silver Flame chooses a weapon with which she dispenses the will of the church. The chosen weapon must be a weapon that the exorcist of the Silver Flame is proficient with, and must have been in her possession for the last 24 hours. While wielding this weapon, the exorcist has a +1 sacred bonus on damage rolls, and she treats it as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

An exorcist of the silver flame may only have one weapon of the exorcist at a time.
Am I mistaken, or does this ability (as written) allow an exorcist of the Silver Flame to switch her chosen weapon from, say, a longsword to a dagger and then back again, as long as both weapons have been in her possession for the last 24 hours?

In other words, is there anything to prevent the following:

Round 1: Exorcist attacks with her chosen weapon (longsword), which is treated as magical and deals +1 sacred bonus damage.

Round 2: Exorcist sheathes longsword, draws dagger (assume she has Quick Draw), declares dagger as chosen weapon, and attacks with dagger, which is treated as magical and deals +1 sacred bonus damage.

Round 3: Exorcist sheathes dagger, draws longsword, declares longsword as chosen weapon, etc.​
"Weapon of the Exorcist" is a supernatural ability. Would you agree with me that it should therefore take a standard action to designate a new chosen weapon?

Have there been any official clarifications on this issue?

Scharlata

First Post
Peter Gibbons said:
[...]Would you agree with me that it should therefore take a standard action to designate a new chosen weapon?

Hi!

Given the ability functions like you assume in your example, it should cost a standard action to "switch the power " to another weapon. If not, a two-weapon fighting character could switch between her primary and her off hand as a free action as often as she liked. That wouldn't be the intention of this class feature, I guess!?

Kind regards

Macbrea

First Post
Any ability that is a supernatural ability needs a standard action to activate. In this case, it would appear you could activate the ability then sheath the weapon. Using it throughout the day. As long as the weapon has been in the persons possession within the last 24 hours. If the person wishes to change weapons they may spend the standard action to activate the power on the new weapon.

Also, it should be noted that if a member of the Silver Flame were to hold someone elses weapon for a round it would have been in their possession how that is written. And they would be able to activate the power on that persons weapon. Allowing the bonus suddenly come into effect as soon as the exorcist picked up the weapon. Strange, but that is how it is written.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Macbrea said:
Also, it should be noted that if a member of the Silver Flame were to hold someone elses weapon for a round it would have been in their possession how that is written. And they would be able to activate the power on that persons weapon. Allowing the bonus suddenly come into effect as soon as the exorcist picked up the weapon. Strange, but that is how it is written.
I don't think I'm understanding your response. The weapon must have been in the exorcist's possession for the last 24 hours. Holding someone else's weapon for a round would not satisfy that requirement, so how would they be able to activate the power on that person's weapon?

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Scharlata said:
Given the ability functions like you assume in your example, it should cost a standard action to "switch the power " to another weapon.
Is there some other, obvious way to interpret how the ability functions that I'm just ignoring?

Peter Gibbons said:
Is there some other, obvious way to interpret how the ability functions that I'm just ignoring?

Well, you could say that the Exorcist has to consecrate the weapon at sunrise (or as near as can be ascertained) while facing the temple of the Silver Flame, and the weapon must have been in his or her possession since the last sunrise, but otherwise there really doesn't seem to be anything you're missing. ;)

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Well, you could say that the Exorcist has to consecrate the weapon at sunrise (or as near as can be ascertained) while facing the temple of the Silver Flame, and the weapon must have been in his or her possession since the last sunrise, but otherwise there really doesn't seem to be anything you're missing. ;)
Yeah, I meant anything actually in the RAW. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads