• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Just want to throw in my obviously minority opinion.

My group is just starting to get into Rise of Tiamat, and we started with DND next modules from dndclassics.com

This new release interests me but I'm not going to buy it for a long time, if I ever do buy it. I feel that WoTC is trying to sell me too many books at this point, too quickly.

Not only is there tons of content, but the DMG even gave us enough info to build our home homebrew class conversion from the WFRPG careers. Hello ratcatcher and pharmacist. (Due to DMG guidelines the classses are nicely balanced from what we can tell in play)

It's certainly going to be a while till I'm ready to purchase more books for any reason other than making my shelf look pretty.

Between opinions like these, and those who argue that wizards has released next to nothing, I feel very deeply for their marketing department.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Between opinions like these, and those who argue that wizards has released next to nothing, I feel very deeply for their marketing department.

The Marketing department just sells what they produce. That is their job, right?

"Here is the best thing produced in 2015 since the last best thing we produced in 2015! Buy it now!"

GobiWon

Explorer
What I and others like me who are just now picking up the Forgotten Realms (or D&D or both) is something that breaks out a smaller chunk of the FR with teasers about the rest of the world. Something that I can take in with smaller bites to process and assimilate. From the sound of it, this may be that product.

While I would like to see something more comprehensive, I think WotC is wise to produce something of this scope. It does seem targeted at consumers who may be overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the Realms. I just hope Greenwood is involved and he gives us some glimpses into the wider Realms in the coming months through some official channel.

Irennan

Explorer
While I would like to see something more comprehensive, I think WotC is wise to produce something of this scope. It does seem targeted at consumers who may be overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of the Realms. I just hope Greenwood is involved and he gives us some glimpses into the wider Realms in the coming months through some official channel.

Ed wasn't directly involved in the book. He said that he unofficially consulted for it. Anyway, what he says *is* official, even if delivered through a forum reply. His answers to the question that people ask over Candlekeep are official, for example. Nonetheless I agree with you that it would be cool to have a series of articles by him on the wider Realms, or anything delivered through official channels.

Remove ads

Remove ads