• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
When the Spellplague happened and the 4th ed timeline was jumped forward 100+ years, Ed and Bob Salvatore were both critical. Neither of them were super public about it, but if you went to Gen Con seminars, etc. they were pretty clear. Especially Bob.

I don't have time to find them right now, but if you do some Google searching, you should be able to find interviews where they recount their reactions to the news. They immediately believed it to be a horrible decision, and started planning how to fix it when WotC came to its senses.

You can not blame them for that because it actually was a horrible decision.

Valus

First Post
These are all interviews after 4e was done, the error admited and the Sundering was green-lit to fix it. While 4e was the current thing they swallowed their dislike and went along, never saying anything bad about it. It's just like one of the Dragonlance creators was hyping the horrible Dragonlance animated movie in Dragon Mag just shortly before it's release.

WotC signs their checks, and thus they sind the song WotC hands the the notes for

From Ed in 2007:

"This is indeed the Big Risk in all of this, the “roll of the dice” that I wish someone had never decided to make (because I personally value the ongoing development of a shared and unbroken imaginary Grand History of a fictional fantasy setting as something magnificent in itself, an achievement we should all continue to contribute to).
Yet it’s happening regardless of my personal wants, and I choose to be onboard trying to paddle and steer, rather than left behind swimming in the water, calling out that perhaps we should have set a different course."

"None of which means my arguments should be seen as quelling, denying, or belittling the personal anger and upset longtime Realms fans are feeling over this. Believe me, I know how you feel. :}"

"I understand and sympathize with all of your misgivings and raw emotions. I went through the same thing at a secret summit meeting at GenCon some years ago; believe me, heavy-hitter novelists and game designers who love the Realms have argued about this “change” over and over heatedly."

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9905

Certainly, Ed and Bob decided to try to make the best of a bad situation, and worked within the system, rather than try to boycott. However, their misgivings were clear publicly very early on, even if they became less diplomatic in later years as it was clear that WotC was seeing the error in their ways.

I am not sure when you are referring to 4e being "done", but both of them were pretty clearly unhappy with it prior to the 5e playtest, even if they weren't full on bashing 4e realms.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Looks like some places have jumped the gun again and released it for sale. I was just speaking to a guy on Facebook who was giving me a good chunk of info on it.

Irennan

Explorer
Looks like some places have jumped the gun again and released it for sale. I was just speaking to a guy on Facebook who was giving me a good chunk of info on it.

If you feel like sharing, are there any meaningful updates on deities and places, lore-wise? What format did they use for their writeups on the various regions and gods (do gods info include their current state, relationships, divine realm and so on...)?

DeathMutant

First Post
I would have expected "Premier" stores to be selling it on October 20th -- 14 days prior to the official release on November 3rd. Why do you think they "jumped the gun?"

Remove ads

Remove ads