Sword Coast Legends Developer n-Space Closes Down After 21 Years

Thanks for the update. I really had hopes for this game but the more I found out about it the less I was interested. I loved the idea of a live DM running a digital game. I hope this doesn't damper future work on that kind of idea.

Thanks for the update. I really had hopes for this game but the more I found out about it the less I was interested. I loved the idea of a live DM running a digital game. I hope this doesn't damper future work on that kind of idea.

darjr

I crit!
To be fair the game was getting rave reviews from insiders and the 'industry'. Which probably helped convince WotC. What I can't seem to square is all that hype and reality.

flametitan

Explorer
I can't say I'm surprised. It was fairly obvious that SCL just couldn't bring in enough customers despite how low they cut retail price. A Lunar New Year Sale price of $10 from a $40 retail in October is a really fast drop for a project of what I assume to be a fairly high budget project.

I just hope that whatever parts of the code can be opened up to the public will be, so that those with the know how can made more extensive mods for it.

The problem with WotC in recent years seems to be their willingness to throw the license to unknown or untested developers.

Tested developers make games from their own Intellectual Property. Untested developers licence IP selling that name since their own is unknown.
It's always a gamble. Sometimes it pays off (BioWare) other times not.

TheSwartz

Explorer
I did buy into it. I bought the Limited Edition Collector's version. I very much wanted these guys to succeed.

However, I hate to say it, but this is what happens to a game studio that releases a complete crap product and does everything possible to let down an entire generation of D&D fans.

One good thing: The Belaphoss statue is badass... It's center piece in my collection of CE gaming figures. I don't mind buying what I did cause of this. But, in the end, I'd rather it came with a classic game like they promised.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
What version or DLC has been put out for SCL? I have the one that added the drow as a playable race....is there any other DLC besides that one?

I'll have to see if I can grab a Belaphoss statue on the aftermarket, really nice looking statue.

Remove ads

Remove ads