SWORD COAST LEGENDS Is Out Today

Plenty of people paid up for the Head Start access, and have been playing it for a while, but today's the day that Sword Coast Legends goes on general release. It's the latest in a long tradition of D&D branded videogames, and includes a single player campaign and a DM-mode which allows you to run adventures for your friends. There are reviews all over the web - you can find more than you could ever want to read with a couple of clicks - and they seem generally positive amongst non-tabletop D&D players and negative amongst those who were hoping for a faithful recreation of the D&D 5th Edition rules. You can grab the game from Steam and other places.

I posted my initial impressions here. It's currently available for PCs; console versions will be arriving in early 2016.

ddeluxe.png

Vampyr3

Explorer
It's fun, but no what I was hoping for.. the Camera Controls and the looting system really bring it down... but I'm sure I"ll spend alot of time in it.. and design and running modules for my friends...

psimon85

First Post
I'll admit that it's not really Dungeons and dragons in the first sense. Shame really, it also barely resembles anything about 5th edition. So a lot of the claims the game has, dont really stand for me.

That said I spent about an hour with the campaign before work, that seems fun enough, though trying to invite a friend failed for around 15 minutes as the invite button does not work (yes even if you disable tutorial) had to reboot and invite directly through steam which seems odd.

The DM tools are at time counter intuitive, as it doesn't explain you are better off creating npc's and quests before even thinking of locations and locales.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Im actually going to try my hand at creating a module and base it of an Adv League Expeditions Scenario called Dues for the Dead. Its a lovely little self contained scenario.

Uder

First Post
User reviews hovering around 5.9 on metacritic.

I was seriously tempted to pre-order by all the positive "articles" (ads) on various genre websites these last few days. Glad I waited.

pukunui

Legend
Im actually going to try my hand at creating a module and base it of an Adv League Expeditions Scenario called Dues for the Dead. Its a lovely little self contained scenario.
I just ran that one as a side quest in my HotDQ game. 'Twas fun.

Let us know how you get on doing it up in SCL.

Chimpy

First Post
It's not a bad game but it feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not a pure D&D game, it's not an action RPG, it's not an MMO...

It's quite entertaining with an interesting story, but I don't think I'll play it after I complete the main story mode.

Astrosicebear

First Post
I too was disappointed, having seen some videos, and not been part of early access. I was hoping the Hype of the 'Next big D&D' game would spur on the developers, but they seem to forgot what makes a D&D game great.

In my opinion, RtTOEE continues to be the hallmark for modern D&D games (bugs and issues aside). Slow the game down, take out the hack and slash diablo feel, and MAKE it D&D. 5/10.

pukunui

Legend
Looks like it's being patched already. I went to load it up just now, and Steam is downloading an update for the game. I can't seem to find any patch notes, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases