Sydney Sweeney to be the new Barbella in upcoming Sony Remake!!!

Mad_Jack

Legend
The issue isn't the actress, it is whether writers and directors have any useful vision for the piece. There are actually good movies from the 60s, but Barbarella isn't one of them. It is a big wad of camp trying to be adult and sophisticated, now reduced to being a solid lump of nostalgia. And remaking nostalgia is a fool's errand. So, it isn't clear what interesting or useful stuff can be done with it.

All in my humble opinion, of course.

This is pretty much where I'm at on it as well - maybe it's a lack of imagination on my part, but I just can't see anywhere someone might go with it that could in any way do the things the original film tried to do better than the original film.
It's decidedly a product of its time, and most of the reason we enjoy it today is because it is exactly what it is.

Ryujin

Legend
This is pretty much where I'm at on it as well - maybe it's a lack of imagination on my part, but I just can't see anywhere someone might go with it that could in any way do the things the original film tried to do better than the original film.
It's decidedly a product of its time, and most of the reason we enjoy it today is because it is exactly what it is.
I mean... She broke the machine. BROKE THE MACHINE.

the Jester

Legend
I'm really tired of all the remakes and reimaginings we keep getting for no real reason. Does Barbarella need a remake? Can it be done well in a way that is true to the original and yet appealing to modern audiences? I have my doubts.

That said, if it comes out well, great, I guess?

I kind of doubt that I do enough drugs to really appreciate a new Barbarella these days, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why should it be true to the original? Let it be its own thing. Stories get re-told all the time, with each storyteller putting their own spin on them.
It should be true enough to the original to at least have a valid warrant for using the name.

Otherwise, you’re probably better off doing an homage with a different title.

Supposedly it will not be based on the original comic books or movie, but on a more recent comic book run that has been published over the past few years, which went away from the camp and sex of the original. There was even a Barbarella/Dejah Thoris limited series team-up. lol

Remove ads