D&D 5E Symbol of Ouch

I've been imagining all this time that a creature could only be affected once by a given Symbol. But the spell text actually just says:

Once triggered, the glyph glows, filling a 60-foot-radius sphere with dim light for 10 minutes, after which time the spell ends. Each creature in the sphere when the glyph activates is targeted by its effect, as is a creature that enters the sphere for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.

So it would appear that you can take 20d10 in a single round from a Symbol of Death (once for entering the sphere, and again if you end your turn there) and then 10d10 again on every subsequent round. Con save for half, but still, ouch! Combine with e.g. Wall of Force to keep somebody in the Symbol of Death and you've got yourself a nasty killer combination.

Is this common knowledge and I'm the only one who's been overlooking this?

Note that casting a spell doesn't prevent you from moving*, and unlike Planar Binding, Symbol has no clause requiring the target to be within range the whole time the spell is being cast, so you could theoretically spend most of a minute casting the spell behind total cover before climbing on a Phantom Steed on the last round of casting, having it Dash 200', dismounting, and finishing the spell right at the feet of your victim. You wind up taking the same damage your target does (though if you're a Necromancer or the right kind of Aasimar you're resistant), but unlike your victim, you're not going to get caught in the Readied Wall of Force your other PC buddy is about to cast, so you're only going to take the damage once whereas your victim is going to take 10d10 101 times, for 1010d10 (5555) points of damage, Con saves for half.

* Unless your DM has, like me, houseruled more AD&D-ish rules.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I think this is engaging in needless rules flexing.
Nothing says you can't move while spellcasting, sure. But nothing in the targeting rules suggests that you can change the target during spellcasting either.

1. Start casting
2. Declare target currently in touch range.
3. Finishing casting, check target is still in touch range.

I think this is engaging in needless rules flexing.
Nothing says you can't move while spellcasting, sure. But nothing in the targeting rules suggests that you can change the target during spellcasting either.

1. Start casting
2. Declare target currently in touch range.
3. Finishing casting, check target is still in touch range.

Nothing in the rule system as written specifies that you have to choose the target at the beginning of casting.

In any case, casting Symbol on the move is kind of a side issue. I expect DMs to handle that aspect as they feel appropriate. My main question was: is the repeatable nature of Symbols effects common knowledge and I'm the only one who overlooked it? If you have to save every round against e.g. Stunning, or Death, the Symbol gets a lot more powerful than I ever thought it was, whether in conjunction with grappling or Wall of Force or Web or whatever.

Gwarok

Explorer
Well instead of doing the whole cast for a minute then run up in the last round to finish the spell, couldn't you just cast it on something like a small box, carry it with you, set the trigger for when the box is opened, then open it when you need it? You'll still take the hit unless you plant it and use mage hand from a distance or something, but seems a lot less sketchy that way to me. Plus you can keep one on you for whenever you need it.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
If that has a minute cast time, you do realize combat is probably over before it goes off, right? Not to mention all the attacks and Concentration checks you're going to have to make in that time. And just how are you climbing on a Phantom Steed without the use of your hands (which are busy casting)?

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Well instead of doing the whole cast for a minute then run up in the last round to finish the spell, couldn't you just cast it on something like a small box, carry it with you, set the trigger for when the box is opened, then open it when you need it? You'll still take the hit unless you plant it and use mage hand from a distance or something, but seems a lot less sketchy that way to me. Plus you can keep one on you for whenever you need it.

No, the 5E version of Symbol breaks if it is ever moved more than 10' from its start location. ["With respect to what reference frame?" I hear you ask. "Play And Find Out," the DM replies. :)]

If that has a minute cast time, you do realize combat is probably over before it goes off, right? Not to mention all the attacks and Concentration checks you're going to have to make in that time. And just how are you climbing on a Phantom Steed without the use of your hands (which are busy casting)?

Most adventures that I have seen, including 5E's WotC-published adventures, do not solely feature creatures which are invisible and undetectable until they attack you. Reconnaissance is valuable. (Yay for Shadow Monks and Rogues!) If recon is not a thing for you and your fellow PCs, then Symbol is likely useless to you, and you are also making the game harder for yourself than it needs to be.

No, the 5E version of Symbol breaks if it is ever moved more than 10' from its start location. ["With respect to what reference frame?" I hear you ask. "Play And Find Out," the DM replies. :)]
I believe their was a thread or twitter discussion on this that included Mearls (?). Basically the ruling is this spell can't be used to make a grenade, that is not the intent of it.

As a DM, I would not allow players to turn it into a grenade either.

I believe their was a thread or twitter discussion on this that included Mearls (?). Basically the ruling is this spell can't be used to make a grenade, that is not the intent of it.

As a DM, I would not allow players to turn it into a grenade either.

Well, yeah. It says so right there in the spell text. I'm surprised anybody even felt the need to ask Mearls about it.

Remove ads