Synnibarr vs WotC

mamba

Legend
Never really heard of this before, but what I have discovered in the past 5 minutes sounds terrible.
same, Wikipedia makes for a good first impression

The World of Synnibarr (sometimes referred to simply as Synnibarr) was a multi-genre role-playing game published by Wonderworld Press and written by Raven c.s. McCracken.[1] A second edition of the game, co-written by Bryce Thelin, was published in 1993. It is noted largely for its exceptionally poor design.[2]

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
same, Wikipedia makes for a good first impression

The World of Synnibarr (sometimes referred to simply as Synnibarr) was a multi-genre role-playing game published by Wonderworld Press and written by Raven c.s. McCracken.[1] A second edition of the game, co-written by Bryce Thelin, was published in 1993. It is noted largely for its exceptionally poor design.[2]
Yuuuup. Though again noting for the record that the wiki is incomplete on that. There are at least two more editions (that I've personally owned) before those two. Though Raven's history on synnibarr.com says he put out the first version in 1980, and per a comment he made on FB last year there have been a total of nine so far.

mamba

Legend
Yuuuup. Though again noting for the record that the wiki is incomplete on that. There are at least two more editions (that I've personally owned) before those two. Though Raven's history on synnibarr.com says he put out the first version in 1980, and per a comment he made on FB last year there have been a total of nine so far.
More versions than expected... stumbled across his Kickstarter for 3e, with a delivery scheduled for December 2013, apparently it did get delivered in July 2022 instead, slight delay there ;)

Just reading the KS race examples makes me notice how awful and complex the design is, don't need to see more than that

I like the comment his post announcing the release got

"Hello everyone.

It has been a long time… 7 years in fact.

We could have released this years ago. It would have been an inferior product that would have needed updates. I wouldn't. Not until it was good enough.

I will not make apologies. A lesser man would have quit when faced with the adversities of their publisher dying and a second fire that took everything they owned. But I didn’t for two reasons.

1. My last edition of Synnibarr met with harsh criticism. So harsh, I nearly quit then. Until I realized: all that will be left of me of when I die, is this wonderful game. I'll not have this version reviled. To ensure this, we have taken the time and not listen to any argument or complaints about delivery.

2. In the past I have been forced to compromise each time I published, pushed for a convention or other such foolishness, and my life’s work suffered for lack of playtesting and editing.

Nevermore…

This time I did it my way and I took my time. This time, we did lots of playtesting and incorporated the feedback from the initial release. Thank you for all who supported the testing and provided criticism. You've helped make a better product."

and then the reply

"Wow I hope you didn’t injure yourself patting yourself on the back as much as you did"

Can't make this stuff up

Last edited:

More versions than expected... stumbled across his Kickstarter for 3e, with a deliver scheduled for December 2013, apparently it did get delivered in July 2022 instead, slight delay there ;)

Just reading the KS race examples makes me notice how awful and complex the design is, don't need to see more than that

I like the comment his post announcing the release got

"Hello everyone.

It has been a long time… 7 years in fact.

We could have released this years ago. It would have been an inferior product that would have needed updates. I wouldn't. Not until it was good enough.

I will not make apologies. A lesser man would have quit when faced with the adversities of their publisher dying and a second fire that took everything they owned. But I didn’t for two reasons.

1. My last edition of Synnibarr met with harsh criticism. So harsh, I nearly quit then. Until I realized: all that will be left of me of when I die, is this wonderful game. I'll not have this version reviled. To ensure this, we have taken the time and not listen to any argument or complaints about delivery.

2. In the past I have been forced to compromise each time I published, pushed for a convention or other such foolishness, and my life’s work suffered for lack of playtesting and editing.

Nevermore…

This time I did it my way and I took my time. This time, we did lots of playtesting and incorporated the feedback from the initial release. Thank you for all who supported the testing and provided criticism. You've helped make a better product."

and then the reply

"Wow I hope you didn’t injure yourself patting yourself on the back as much as you did"

Can't make this stuff up
There's a fine line between confidence and complete wanker.

Remove ads