• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

System burnout

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
So, after playing 3.X for the last 10 years and 3.5 for the last 7 (?) years, I'm burnt out on D&D. I've tried, and failed, to dig 4th edition and have no interest in 3.X variants like Pathfinder, Conan, Iron Heroes, etc. What I'm looking to play is a simpler, more narrative/description-based game of D&D that isn't so bogged down with rules.

Sadly the guys that I've gamed with for the past 10 years still enjoy 3.X and don't want to play a stripped down version of D&D (like C&C or a retro-clone) that I'm hankering for, so I'm the sole "burn-out." ;)

Has this happened to anyone out there (where you are the only person in the group to not dig a game) and, if so, what did you do?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have! I realize there are no simple answers... I'm just putting this out there for discussion and commiseration.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Rather than trying to get the group to drop their current brand of D&D wholesale, maybe shoot for a one-shot departure into Rules-Lite Land. To that end, let me pimp my latest passion: Old School Hack

It is ENWorlder Kiznit's remake of another retro-clone called Red Box Hack. He ran this for us a couple times at GenCon and it was the highlight of the Con for me. It's still under development but has plenty of structure (and gorgeous layout) to run the game as is.

What I love about it is that it is choc full of that oft talked about "Sense of Wonder". It has rules that are fairly simple. But those rules (especially the combat rules) interact in ways that are really interesting and complex (without being cumbersome). And it has loads of narrative potential.

Just as a quick example, Old School Hack has categories of weapons. Light, Heavy, Reach, etc. But it doesn't even try to describe every individual weapon. The player gets to decide what his weapon is within the category he chooses. Hypersmurf's Reach weapon in one of the GenCon games was a "flaming, barbed wire whip". How cool is that?

Anyway, I hear ya. It kind of stinks when your playstyle preferences differ from the group as a whole. It may be that you can't move them away from their preference and, after a certain point, it's not really fair to try. Sometimes you just have to concede that you're a little burned out on the current fare and sit out for a campaign or two to recharge your batteries. If, in the meantime, you can get them to try out some other stuff on a one-shot basis then that's at least a way to keep your hand in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
By the time I get system burnout, I'm usually experiencing genre burnout.

I'll pitch (or persuade a different GM to pitch muahaha) an entirely different genre as a short fill-in game.

The last couple have been Zombie Apocalyse a la All Flesh Must Be Eaten and a Traveler-inspired Hero Games campaign.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Oh, to have a group play long enough to get burnt out...

Anyway, I have a question: are you offering to run a game with a different system, or are you looking to be a player? If you want to get everyone to change and get somebody to DM the game, then you have a huge uphill battle. If you are willing to run the game, then I agree with Rel and suggest trying a one-shot to hopefully whet their appetites for a different game.

BTW, I am assuming from your OP that you are a player in the 3.X campaign, rather than the DM.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
First off, thanks for the advice so far... keep it coming!

I have run C&C for the guys and, while they liked it, they prefer the crunch of 3.5 to C&C. I was running my game, which was set in a homebrew world that incorporated the Freeport setting, alongside a 3.5 Ptolus (I'm a player in that campaign) game but ended it when it became obvious that both games were suffering from a lack of focus. We don't play every week and each game was too infrequent to keep any kind of momentum going.

What I'll likely do is wait until the Ptolus game wraps up (we are level 7 and will probably play until level 12 or so) and then pick up my campaign (so long as the group is up for it).

Last edited:

sgaff24

First Post
If you want to stick with Fantasy I would say that C&C would be something to look at. I recently switched over from 3.x for the same reason you are burned out on it. Too many rules and options, I just wanted to go back to my 1e/2e days and play how Gary wanted us all to play.

C&C is such an easy game to get into. Plus it is so easy to customize to the way your group plays that I don't think your group would complain that much.

Head over to Trolllord.com and check out the forums.

Also to get an idea of what it is about check out this document about the philosophy of old school gaming.

Quick Primer for Old School Gaming by Matthew Finch in Games

Steve

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
How often do you game together? If you game frequently (2 or 3 times a month), try just taking a month off and not playing anything. Let someone else run your character for that time frame and take some time to play some video games, read, go to the movies or whatever. That might be all the rest you need.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Another idea is to maybe go outside your group for some gaming on occasion.

The guys I game with are usually pretty willing to try out new stuff, especially if it isn't a long term commitment. But their tastes generally run pretty mainstream.

However I'm fortunate in that I get to engage in all manner of off the wall one-shots at the NC Game Day and GenCon. It's there that I play the wild, fun and often weird games that help keep things fresh. In addition to the aforementioned Old School Hack, my GenCon also included Mutants & Masterminds, Paranoia, Feng Shui, Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, and Time and Temp. And my wife is gearing up to run Dread at the upcoming Western NC Game Day.

That provides some much appreciated variety to my gaming diet. My group just kicked off a 4e D&D game but that feels satisfying coming off all the wacky stuff I've played lately.

So look around your area and see what you can find in the way of other outlets for your gaming desires that might give you a break from what feels like the same old same old.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Rather than trying to get the group to drop their current brand of D&D wholesale, maybe shoot for a one-shot departure into Rules-Lite Land. To that end, let me pimp my latest passion: Old School Hack

The more I look at this, the more I like it for a fast and loose pick-up game. This might be great for a 1-off in the not too distant future, and it's different enough from D&D to not come off as "yet another D&D variant" to my group.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone! :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
The more I look at this, the more I like it for a fast and loose pick-up game. This might be great for a 1-off in the not too distant future, and it's different enough from D&D to not come off as "yet another D&D variant" to my group.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone! :)

Kiz is working on fleshing out some of the documentation so that it'll be easier to play without having had it demonstrated. But if you want to run it in the meantime then check out the forums there and post if you have any questions.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads