[T20] High Law and low justice

Maerdwyn

First Post
You are near Daramm Starport, a class A facility operated by Archducal Transportation Authorities, Ltd. Darammiya, the city beyond the extrality line is the (surface) capital of Daramm, the oceanic homeworld of the Luriani. At 40,000,000 sentients, Darammiya is the largest of several floating cities on the ocean’s surface, but even taken together, these cities are dwarfed by the number of Luriani living beneath the waves. While the other cities are largely ignored by the Luriani ruling class, Darammiya is well regarded, both because of its starport, and because it is the seat of the Ley Sector Duke, Amphoro Kelniru. You have remained in the city for the majority of your time here on Daramm, and soon it will be time for you to cross the extrality line and enter the port, in anticipation of boarding the Keruuchan in a few hours. Before that, you will have time to relax for a bit - just remember to leave some time for getting through CEI (Customs and E/Immigration).

Nearby, you see an upscale lounge named "Red Tide", several convenience stores, a nice hotel and a low rent bar named "McAllister's Hearth." Also close are a "Public Baths, ltd." (These cater mostly to surface dwelling Luriani who need a swim, but a few members of other races also partake.) and a TAS hostel. The highport, where you'll go to find the Keruuchan is to the west, while the Navy Base has its own seperate area of the port to the northwest. You can find pretty much any other service you might need within a short walk or a taxi ride. As you are thinking over what you're going to do next, you notice a vender selling today’s Darammiya Post Dispatch, and you scan the headlines.

OOC: (Campaign title still might change, we'll see what direction you guys take it in.) I just though I'd open this up in case there is anything you’d like your characters to do before embarking. There's no requirement to post now, but feel free to if you'd like - especially if you think it will help you get in character. Characters are still somewhat mutable if you need to make changes, up until the adventure properly gets underway and the ship departs.

When you are posting, place all in character material at the beginning of the post, and OOC stuff (skill check requests, questions, etc.) at the end, marked with that tag. If you want me to roll a check for one of your skills, you need to request it – I usually won’t unless you ask – and please do so in the following format:

"OOC:Gather Information/+2" (where +2 is your total bonus to the roll.) Any notes or clarifications you have for the check can follow.

I will not tell you the results of certain checks, such as Hide or Appraise. For Dice Rolls you make, you may use either this online dice roller, and post the link to the result, or have me make the roll.

We'll get underway for real once everyone is satisfied with their characters and done with business at the starport.

Have Fun!

Ian

Last edited:

Watus

First Post
Quinn harrumphs loudly as he flings his paper onto the bar in front of the last stool from the door in McAllister's Hearth and drops his duffel down beside it. Watchcap low on his forehead, he sholders out of his pea coat and takes a seat. "Avoid the surface domes, my ***," he mutters to himself. "Arrogant bastards".

He orders a whiskey, neat, and chews the end off a cigar he pulls out of his breast pocket. Lighting it, he exhales heavily - tension visibly draining from his broad sholders. He leans over and undoes the knot on his bag, pulling out a hand computer which had been neatly stowed on top. He rubs his forhead for a moment and takes a sip of his drink before keying the power and becoming absorbed in whatever it is he's reading.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
"Aye," says the Vargr barkeep, discreetly motioning to a pair of Luriani sitting a ways down the bar. "But I'll thank ye not to be saying so, quite so loudly." As he pours your drink, though, he says quietly, "All the same, friend, this one's on the house." With that, he moves off to greet an incoming Vargr patron - apparently a regular.

After a bit of small talk, the customer takes a seat by the hearth (a quaint sight, that, in this Metropolis). Despite the warm, dry air in the room, he tosses another synthetic log on the fire, and sits back to wait for his drink.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Saanath takes a deep breath.

Humm. It smells a little different, but otherwise its pretty much just like any other spaceport.

Saanath checks his piece of paper again.

Nope, still no meeting before take of. You would have thought that they would. Some form of PR bash for the cameras. A good sign I suppose. God, I hope that there are no "events" scheduled for the trip. Perhaps I should have requested one of the LPs. Can't do much to a person when they are in Supended.

Pocketing the paper, he takes another look around, then checks his watch.

A couple of hours to kill. The bar or lounge? A swim? Ah ... OK, the lounge. It should be quieter. I should really get something to eat as well.

Inside the lounge, Saanath finds himself a quiet table a little out of the way and orders a beer. He considers pulling out his computer to send an letter to his parents, but eventually decides against it. Instead, he pulls out his phone, turns it off, then settles back in his chair to enjoy his beer.

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
Inside the lounge, Saanath finds himself a quiet table a little out of the way and orders a beer. He considers pulling out his computer to send an letter to his parents, but eventually decides against it. Instead, he pulls out his phone, turns it off, then settles back in his chair to enjoy his beer.
Saanath takes in the room, and can't help but think that whoever opened this place was trying just a bit too hard. The waitstaff have a pretentious "You aren't chic enough to come here" expression ready for everyone who walks through the door, and the decor is a bit severe for the kind of place you'd think most people would want before or after a long trip. The other patrons (many races are represented here) don't seem to mind, though, and they seem to be spending as much time watching each other and tittering as they do enjoying their food and drink or listening to the (excellent) Luriani singer and her human pianist.

OOC: With a SOC of 10, Depending on Saanath's appearance and dress, he is seated anywhere from a dark, deep corner to a more pleasant, but still out of the way table near the restrooms.

doghead

thotd
Saanath give the waitress a wry smile as she shows him his table. He has been to bars like this before. The only thing special about the people in them, in his experience, is how easily they are parted from their money in a game. Anyway, out of the way suits him. He's off world in a few hours.

He's somewhat curious about Makhidkarum, but decides that it isn't worth the effort and money needed to find out more.

When the waitress returns with his beer, he asks about the possibility of food.

Watus

First Post
Quinn pauses the vid he's watching on his hand comp and orders another drink. The woman on the screen, frozen with her mouth open in the middle of dicing an onion, was beginning to annoy him. A bit too chipper for his tastes.

He pulls the audio bud out of his ear and glances back over his shoulder at the Vargr by the hearth, wondering how many more of those logs he's likely to throw on the fire. As if it wasn't hot enough in here already.

He turns back to the bartender, "your friend likes it warm, huh?"

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
When the waitress returns with his beer, he asks about the possibility of food.
The waitress, a pretty (if overly made-up) Luriani, hands you the offworlders' menu while sneeking a look over another of her tables that looks like it might generate a larger tip.

She waits politely for a moment as you scan the list of offerings, which range from pricey, but attractive, appetizers to seafood and pasta dishes to *very* expensive imported meat. There is also an impressive list of wine and spirits, even if it's a bit heavy on the local fermented kelp beverages.

"What do you wish this afternoon?" she asks. As you turn to answer you notice one reason for all the make-up, as it's obviously covering a good size bruise on her right cheek.

OOC Spot Check=19 vs. DC 15

Maerdwyn

First Post
Watus said:
He turns back to the bartender, "your friend likes it warm, huh?"
"Not sure what ye mean, friend," he says as he takes a quick sip of cold water, and moves down the bar towards one of the Luriani who is waving for his attention.

"Look, McAllister - can you give the fire a rest today? it's 24 degrees outside!" the older of the two says.

"Oh, I am sorry, laddie, but without the fire, there's a terrible draft in this place, no matter what the temperature out there - it gets cold and wet in here in no time. I'm truly sorry if you find it too warm," responds the barman.

Just then another Vargr, whom you hadn't noticed at first speaks up: "Hey Hergvaer! It's getting chilly over here! Give that fire a poke before we catch cold!" He chuckles softly to himself as he turns back to his drink.

Seonaid

Explorer
Ktarlewaweikye wanders around the city aimlessly. Nothing here interested her at first glance, and it is definitely too early to head for the port. She stifles a yawn and decides to buy a paper. Ignoring the first page entirely, she flips through to see if there is any new medical news. Absently, she wanders into Red Tide, still scanning the paper.

Remove ads