D&D 5E Tabaxi claw attack

Clancey

First Post
Since the Tabaxi claw has its own rule adding strength bonus, can one use it as an off-hand attack with the bonus when wielding a light weapon? How about the same with a finess weapon, since it is a natural weapon?

Thoughts?

Lanliss

Explorer
If I am not mistaken, you can make an offhand attack anytime you want with your fist, it is just such a poor use that it never really happens. I might be wrong, though I don't see it destroying balance, as it does not meet the requirements for most abuse-able abilities like a Sneak attack (requires finesse weapon), or spells (most require weapon attacks).

Now that I look at them, the rules for the tabaxi's claws are written very confusingly, since they refer to them as "natural weapons" but then proceed to describe them as an improvement to your "unarmed strike", and notwithstanding what common sense would indicate (and the way it worked in previous editions), these are not the same thing. However, the overall intent of the ability seems to be that it replaces your normal unarmed strike damage with 1d4 + Str slashing damage. I would use the standard unarmed strike rules on PHB p. 195 and take the term "natural weapon" as not meaning a natural weapon in the technical sense. Which would mean the answer to both your questions is "no".

If I am not mistaken, you can make an offhand attack anytime you want with your fist, it is just such a poor use that it never really happens. I might be wrong, though I don't see it destroying balance, as it does not meet the requirements for most abuse-able abilities like a Sneak attack (requires finesse weapon), or spells (most require weapon attacks).
RAW, you can't. You need to be wielding a light weapon in your off-hand, and an unarmed strike expressly does not count as a weapon.

If you did allow it, it wouldn't actually be a terrible move. The potential for 1 + Str extra damage can be attractive in some circumstances. It's almost certainly better than two-handing a versatile weapon, for instance.

Since the Tabaxi claw has its own rule adding strength bonus, can one use it as an off-hand attack with the bonus when wielding a light weapon? How about the same with a finess weapon, since it is a natural weapon?

Thoughts?
Technically no, since the two-weapon fighting rules require you to use a melee weapon, and your claws aren't actually weapons in that sense.

The claws are not finesse weapons. If they were, they would specifically say so.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I agree with the other posters who've said that it is not permitted by RAW.

That said, I would allow a player who wanted to make an off-hand attack with their unarmed strike to do so, however it would follow the normal rules for dual wielding. In other words, for a typical character without the two-weapon fighting style the attack would deal 1 point of damage. A tabaxi without the two-weapon fighting style would deal 1d4 points of damage.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
[MENTION=6683613]TheCosmicKid[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] cover most of the RAW, which generally do not allow you to use the tabaxi's claw attack along with your weapon attack.

The exception that would allow you to use the claw attack is your reaction, which can be used either on your own turn or on someone else's (PHB, page 190).

Clancey

First Post
Thanks for everyone's input!

I would like to know what constitutes a finesse weapon. What characteristic makes a dagger and a rapier finesse?

Also, I respect the opinion that the RAW are confusing on the "natural weapon" designation in Volo's, but it could be argued that the intention that the claw attack *is* to be considered a weapon for that creature as an ability, could it not?

psychophipps

Explorer
I would like to know what constitutes a finesse weapon. What characteristic makes a dagger and a rapier finesse?

Also, I respect the opinion that the RAW are confusing on the "natural weapon" designation in Volo's, but it could be argued that the intention that the claw attack *is* to be considered a weapon for that creature as an ability, could it not?

1) Because the devs say they are. Yes, that's basically the gist of it.

2) Just having a better natural weapon in a pinch is pretty handy. Automatically linking it to the optimized stat of the race and to SA is really not necessary in terms of play balance. That said, it is *your* game so run it how your group wants to play it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Thanks for everyone's input!

A weapon is a finesse weapon if it has the finesse property listed for it in the weapon table on PHB pg 149.

IMO, it would be a very weak argument. It clearly states that it is an unarmed strike. An unarmed strike is not a weapon. I would say that the use of the term natural weapon is simply a case of natural language.

Remove ads