The Tabletop Adventure Sues Geek Therapeutics For 'Libel, Slander, and Copyright Infringement'

Shawn Thomas of The Tabletop Adventure is suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, for "libel, slander and copyright infringement".

Realms of Kymoria Cropped.png

Shawn Thomas of The Tabletop Adventure is suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, for "libel, slander and copyright infringement" over Realms of Kymoria, according to the Iowa Capital Dispatch (ICD). Shawn authored Realms of Kymoria, and discussed manufacturing, marketing, and distributing the setting with Geek Therapeutics. "Despite the alleged lack of a finalized licensing agreement between Thomas and the Texas company, Geek Therapeutics launched a Kickstarter crowd-funding campaign to get Realms of Kymoria to market."

The active campaign is live on Backerkit, not Kickstarter, though there is a Kickstarter "coming soon" launch page. ICD's original article offers details reprinted in its entirety here via ICD's use of Creative Commons:

A “certified therapeutic game master” from Iowa is suing a Texas company called Geek Therapeutics for libel, slander and copyright infringement over a planned Dungeons & Dragons spinoff.

Shawn Thomas and his Ankeny company [The] Tabletop Adventure are suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, a licensed psychologist, in U.S. District Court for Southern District of Iowa.

The lawsuit revolves around Thomas’ development of a role-playing tabletop game called Realms of Kymoria. The lawsuit claims that players of the game inhabit a fictional world that provides an inclusive and welcoming environment for all types of individuals.

Thomas alleges that in creating Realms of Kymoria, he produced graphical maps, stories in the form of written prose, and graphic depictions of various characters within those stories. In 2021, he created a limited liability company, [The] Tabletop Adventure, to hold the copyrights, trademarks, and other rights associated with the game.

That same year, the lawsuit alleges, Thomas acquired his “therapeutic game master certification” from Geek Therapeutics, signaling his ability to host role-playing games in therapeutic environments. Soon thereafter, Thomas and Bean allegedly began discussing a potential licensing agreement whereby Geek Therapeutics would manufacture, market, and distribute Realms of Kymoria.

The lawsuit alleges Thomas was concerned about losing control of the intellectual property rights associated with the game and that Bean agreed all such rights would remain with Thomas. Negotiations continued through December 2022, when it was learned that a California company called Wizards of the Coast was planning major changes in its licensing agreements that allow third parties to create games using rules that are compatible with its popular Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game.

Among the planned changes was one that would grant to Wizards of the Coast a perpetual royalty-free license to use the officially licensed third-party games for any purpose. The lawsuit claims this plan triggered “an uproar in the tabletop gaming community” because many game developers had created business models centered on their compatibility with Dungeons & Dragons rules.

Thomas was among the concerned developers because he had intended to make Realms of Kymoria compatible with Dungeons & Dragons, but was opposed to the Wizards of the Coast licensing arrangement, according to the lawsuit.

Geek Therapeutics, however, opted to pursue compatibility and it moved forward with its marketing plans for Realms of Kymoria. Despite the alleged lack of a finalized licensing agreement between Thomas and the Texas company, Geek Therapeutics launched a Kickstarter crowd-funding campaign to get Realms of Kymoria to market. In April 2023, Thomas allegedly demanded that Geek Therapeutics immediately cease all efforts to reproduce and distribute his game.

According to the lawsuit, Geek Therapeutics announced, earlier this month, plans to distribute and sell the game through its Kickstarter campaign. “Hundreds of people have pre-registered” to provide support for the game, the lawsuit claims, and various websites and merchandise have been created to promote and sell the game.

In addition to an injunction, Thomas’ lawsuit seeks damages for copyright infringement as well as libel and slander, with Thomas alleging the defendants sent its Kickstart backers a supportive email that falsely claimed to be from him.

The defendants have yet to file a response to the lawsuit.

Realms of Kymoria A Therapeutic TTRPG Quickstart Kit for 5e.png

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

datreus

Villager
Given the predominance of neurodivergent individuals in RPG hobbies, I'd be VERY concerned at anyone using APA support and ACT theory as their basis for a therapeutic process. There's a better than good chance that you're just paying for gaslighting with extra steps.

MGibster

Legend
Given the predominance of neurodivergent individuals in RPG hobbies, I'd be VERY concerned at anyone using APA support and ACT theory as their basis for a therapeutic process. There's a better than good chance that you're just paying for gaslighting with extra steps.
The idea that neurodivergent individuals are predominant in the RPG hobby is a bold statement that requires some citation to back up.

The idea that neurodivergent individuals are predominant in the RPG hobby is a bold statement that requires some citation to back up.
I agree. I've been gaming since 1979, and switched from traditional table top to online years ago, and I'm extremely doubtful about this claim.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Wizards of the Coast is a... Rhode Island company? Washington company? How does one determine that?

Depends.

Legal entities are first and foremost subject to the laws of the place of their incorporation / registration. So, for example, many legal entities are "Delaware" companies or corporations. WOTC is a Delaware LLC, with a principal place of business in Washington state. It has further "foreign corporation" registrations in other states, such as Washington, Texas, and California.

However, this is complicated when it comes to other issues (such as where they may be sued). See 28 USC sec. 1391. In addition, the rules vary depending on the nature of the legal entity; LLCs (such as WOTC) have residency, for purposes of determining diversity jurisdiction, in every state where a member of the LLC resides. If a member of the LLC is a legal entity (such as another LLC), then you have to determine where every member of that LLC resides ... which can result in turtles, all the way down.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Paid GM'ing is rather large in online gaming. So much so that Reddit forums Looking for group/player/GM are required to note in the heading of all new threads whether it is paid for free.

There are lots of gamers looking for groups. I put up a notice for a player just before starting my for my current campaign (on Reddit), and within 45 minutes had three candidates, one of whom passed the vetting process. I closed the thread an hour after posting. The campaign is in the Fading Suns setting using modified Zweihander rules, so I can't claim a wide base of setting or system followers.

And this with my house rules already posted.
Regarding the part that I bolded, I'd be interesting in reading more about your vetting process. I started a new thread for GMs to share their vetting processes: https://www.enworld.org/threads/gms-what-is-your-vetting-process-for-finding-new-players.702986/

GreyLord

Legend
people are not hostile towards therapy, they are hostile to the idea that paying $1500 to some dubious company qualifies you to be a therapist
It doesn't claim to make you a therapist though. It is a program that gives you more tools designed for those who are already therapists and have degrees or certifications in that field.

It IS a certification, but a certification is NOT therapy. A similar certification would be for being a music host in recreational therapy. That doesn't make you a recreational Therapist or even a qualified musical recreational therapist, it means that you have taken a few classes and passed a test on how music can help patients with music and if you do not have a degree, that you can help a registered recreational therapist in that area.

I didn't see anywhere where it claims that you are a certified psychologist or even social worker or sociologist after getting the certification. It is another tool in your toolbox.

It may give you a few credit hours and a certificate. It by no means replaces a degree and I don't see anywhere that it claims it does.

People are looking for a reason to discredit this type of approach because they cannot believe that Roleplaying is actually used in Mental Health and Mental health therapy and that there is actually certification programs out there surrounding it.

There are other programs like this one out there (under different names in several cases and some appear cheaper or as college credit hours/college classes), this is not the only one of it's kind (unless you want the exact terminology of the course and it's name which could be trademarked for some reason). Many are offered at colleges as a class one can take. In addition, this one is NOT just some fellow who comes out of nowhere, but was crafted by an actual Psychologist to be tailored to how they see it works best.

Most of us are not Psychologist here and calling one a sham just because one doesn't like the lawsuit sounds rather...hostile to psychology to me.

mamba

Legend
It doesn't claim to make you a therapist though. It is a program that gives you more tools designed for those who are already therapists and have degrees or certifications in that field.
in that case I would have no objections to it… I cannot speak for others, all I read was the quoted article and that said nothing about having to be a therapist already. Which is where my ‘a $1500 class does not make you a therapist’ came from

“A “certified therapeutic game master” from Iowa is suing a Texas company called Geek Therapeutics for libel, slander and copyright infringement over a planned Dungeons & Dragons spinoff.

Shawn Thomas and his Ankeny company Tabletop Adventure are suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, a licensed psychologist, in U.S. District Court for Southern District of Iowa.

The lawsuit revolves around Thomas’ development of a role-playing tabletop game called Realms of Kymoria. The lawsuit claims that players of the game inhabit a fictional world that provides an inclusive and welcoming environment for all types of individuals.”

only one person here is a doctor and psychologist, and it is not the ‘certified therapeutic game master’. If he were one too and this is just some extra credits, that is fine. If this class is the entirety of his education then that does not make him a therapist as far as I am concerned.

I assume others did not dig much deeper either, so I still think the reaction you got was over ‘this does not make you a therapist’ rather than ‘using RPGs in therapy is nonsense’ that you interpreted it as

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I assume others did not dig much deeper either, so I still think the reaction you got was over ‘this does not make you a therapist’ rather than ‘using RPGs in therapy is nonsense’ that you interpreted it as
I know I certainly didn't, because you know, I'm irresponsible about all public statements I make.

That said though, does this mean paid GMs can bill Medicare? How do you code a TPK?

GreyLord

Legend
Shawn Thomas and his Ankeny company Tabletop Adventure are suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, a licensed psychologist, in U.S. District Court for Southern District of Iowa.
The guy who made the program is Anthony Bean, who seems to have a PhD in Psychology and is a licensed Psychologist.

He is the one who created this particular program for Gamemastering therapeutics. It also appears this is where Shawn Thomas got his certification from.

He is being sued for (from what I can tell) going ahead with the idea that his company was sponsoring and was publishing a game/rpg for which contracts had not yet been signed.

mamba

Legend
The guy who made the program is Anthony Bean, who seems to have a PhD in Psychology and is a licensed Psychologist.
yes, I understood that

He is the one who created this particular program for Gamemastering therapeutics. It also appears this is where Shawn Thomas got his certification from.
again, yes, I understand that, and Shawn was called ‘certified therapeutic game master’, implying no actual degree

He is being sued for (from what I can tell) going ahead with the idea that his company was sponsoring and was publishing a game/rpg for which contracts had not yet been signed.
the psychologist is being sued by the ‘therapeutic GM’, yes.

All of that was clear already, I just quoted it too. Not sure what your point is

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads