GMs - what is your vetting process for finding new players?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Was reading another thread where a DM mentioned players passing their vetting process. If if not formalized, every DM has a vetting process. Generally, you need to limit the number of players in a campaign. I'll write up some of my thoughts of how I vet players for my games and experiences I've had on the player side. But don't wait for me! Share your thoughts on what works--or doesn't--for vetting players.

MNblockhead

My vetting process...

For most of decade I've been running games since getting back into the TTRPG hobby, I've had a stable group. Any new or guest players are simply friends of current players and I don't do any vetting beyond an existing player recommending them.

For my first campaign, after the 2014 rules were published, I started with two old high school friends and then posted to Meetup.com. I gave a detailed write up on the theme and setting, character limitations, and the system (including which optional/variant and homebrew rules would be used). That was followed by a back and forth over e-mail with a number of interested people until I had another three players who were interested.

As a player, I generally only do free or paid one-shots via VTT using find-a-game platforms (e.g. Roll20s Find a Game page or Start Playing). Usually, the only vetting is agreeing to the terms of the site and the GMs rules/terms when registering for a session.

I've only been vetted for two campaigns through find-a-game services. For one, I started with a one shot and agreed to join a campaign with the DM and other players on that one shot. For another, there was an actually video-call interview, with the GM and we agreed that it wouldn't be a good fit for me because (1) my travel schedule made it impossible for me to the expected strict commitment to make every session and (2) the GM recorded the sessions and posted them to Twitch/YouTube, which I had not interest in being part of.

cranberry

Adventurer
I've never had to vet a player before because I knew everyone that I've invited to games.

However as a player, I've experienced two very different vetting's.

The first one was a phone interview that lasted close to an hour. He asked me about my (TTRPG) background and experience - each response prompted a few more questions , my playstyle, my availability, my ability to get to his house, do I have my own dice, and I'm sure a few other questions that I've forgotten.

The second was in a pub as the DM described the world and his playstyle. His only litmus test was "Is this something you'd be interested in". I said "yes", and I was in.

If I was screening people I didn't know, my biggest question would be about their playstyle and expectations, and see if it would fit with mine. Although, I'd be willing to give anyone a chance who might want to give a new playstyle a whirl.

I'm not a psychologist. Unless they a blatantly obvious during the "interview", I'll let any behavioral issues rear themselves naturally, and deal with it when/if it becomes a problem.

My methods have changed a bit since abandoning F2F for online, but they remain much the same.

I post on Reddit for replacement players, and besides the nuts and bolts points (time, day of week, nature and specifics of the campaign, etc), I throw in some of my house rules:

We are looking for a motivated player that is willing to make a commitment and put in the effort to make sure they are there for the game.

no PVP or theft from PCs or the party

no murder-hoboes

share the spotlight, work as a team

play your own gender

The next stage is to have an extended chat on Discord: gaming background (experience is not required), stability of schedule, and a lot on our expectations and what the player is looking for. Try to get a feel for a player's attitude. I generally do not accept college students because their schedule changed at regular intervals, and I've lost players that way. Go over my other house rules, which are basic things such as if you are eating, mute your mike, stay involved, etc.

If they pass that, I bring them into the Discord server supporting the game, and let them chat with the players, and take a look at out IC channel, handouts channel, loot channel, art channel, and the rest. If none of the players object to the new guy, he's brought in.

I then monitor him closely during the PC creation process. I recently cut two potential recruits during this stage.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've never had to vet a player before because I knew everyone that I've invited to games.

However as a player, I've experienced two very different vetting's.

The first one was a phone interview that lasted close to an hour. He asked me about my (TTRPG) background and experience - each response prompted a few more questions , my playstyle, my availability, my ability to get to his house, do I have my own dice, and I'm sure a few other questions that I've forgotten.

The second was in a pub as the DM described the world and his playstyle. His only litmus test was "Is this something you'd be interested in". I said "yes", and I was in.
As a player, all other things being equal I'd be far more keen on joining the second game here than the first. :)

As for my own "vetting", that's usually been informally done long ahead of time, either by me or by whoever's inviting you in, via out-of-game contact be it through friendship, work, other games, or whatever. In other words, by the time you get to the stage where inviting you in is a consideration, you're already a well-known entity.

There's been a few exceptions over the years. For example, one player I met some years ago through these forums and who none of us knew otherwise worked out great; we got together in person for coffee, decided it was a fit, and in he came. Much fun ensued. :)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
These are the questions that I generally want answered and how I usually go about getting answers. None of this is a formal process. Just the type of stuff we do with people before we consider inviting them to our main games.

Would you be fun to hang out with if we weren't gaming together?

Most of the time this has already been answered because we've already hung out, but if it's someone entirely new or a friend of a friend we just meet at a brewery with one or two other players and talk gaming / video games / sports / whatever. If you're a good hang then we can we see if you are fun to game with.

Do you have a facility with storytelling, pacing, what makes a compelling character, etc? Are you a good collaborator?

I'll invite you over for a one-shot game of some storytelling game like For The Queen or The Quiet Year to see if you can contribute to a somewhat tonally serious game while being enjoyable to game with and to see what your collaborative chemistry is like with the people you would be playing with.

Can you learn and skillfully play a set of game rules? Are you a good sport? Do you handle conflict well?
Generally, by just joining us for a board game night. I want to see how you handle new rules, ambiguity in rules and if you can remain personable when conflicts / competition are on the board.

I never join long term campaigns with folks I dont know. I start with a series of one shots to get to know one another. If things jell, then im open to the possibility. Thats it. I'll game with anybody once.
Pretty much identical. There have been a few people over the years I wouldn't even give one shot too, but they were all people I'd been warned off of by someone I'd gamed with and trusted.

Organized play and running demos at a store are my preferred method for meeting new gamers I might wind up recruiting - or being recruited by.

Beyond that I don't really vet anyone formally, and I've never been vetted beyond being asked if I was interested and available.

play your own gender
Is it appropriate to ask why this is one of your rules? Oddly specific o_o

----

I have not done major vetting yet due to the people I'm playing with being primarily friends or people from a trusted community.

If I were to vet, it'd primarily along the lines of:

1. What type of games do you prefer mechanically?
2. What type of games and goals do you prefer roleplay wise?
3. Reiterating that I am against bigotry and reiterating that my games are explicitly LGBTQIA2S+ and neurodiverse friendly and include those characters.
4. Understanding / ensuring the user is okay with a text based game (the games I've hosted so far are live-text based; we meet up at set times and run sessions via a live Discord chat)

So far it's point 3 that I am primarily concerned with. I think I could work with players to work out things mechanically and roleplay wise.

MNblockhead

I then monitor him closely during the PC creation process. I recently cut two potential recruits during this stage.
Can you elaborate on this last point. After the previously described vetting, what would PC-creation reveal that would lead you to not move forward with a player?

Remove ads