Tabletop Gaming News for Friday, 3 May, 2013 [RPGs have no relation with satanism! Woohoo!; plus Ul

EN World News There's just two days left to get your entries in for the EN World $1000 7-Day RPG Contest. Don't miss your chance! Don't forget to let me know your opinion on the "Coming Soon" column on the right-side of the news page - keep or ditch? (See yesterdays news). Pathfinder RPG News New rules for stuff to do during your game's downtime, in part 2 of Jason Bulmahn's Ultimate...

[h=3]EN World News[/h]
  • There's just two days left to get your entries in for the EN World $1000 7-Day RPG Contest. Don't miss your chance!
  • Don't forget to let me know your opinion on the "Coming Soon" column on the right-side of the news page - keep or ditch? (See yesterdays news).

[h=3]Pathfinder RPG News[/h]
  • New rules for stuff to do during your game's downtime, in part 2 of Jason Bulmahn's Ultimate Campaign preview. Ultimate Campaign, a 256-page hardcover, should be hitting shelves in about 3 weeks. This preview takes a look at the character downtime system -- "This versatile system allows a character to undertake a number of different tasks to improve himself or build his standing within the town he lives in." And it has stats for a bath.
  • Jim Zub, creator of the Pathfinder Comic, got his "contributor's copy" of the graphic novel in the mail today.

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons News[/h]
  • Walkthrough Map: Tsojcanth by Jason Thompson -- "Daoud's Magical Lanthorn! The Demonomicon! Treasures of unimaginable worth! It's long past time some brave adventurers plundered the buried riches of the Archmage Iggwilv!" In great celebration of the S series of adventures, we'd like to offer the following cartoon -- considering the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth!

[h=3]Roleplaying Games News[/h]

[h=3]Community News[/h]
  • Campaign Mastery has had numerous articles on campaign planning in the past. The latest article discusses tailoring those techniques to the different tones of various campaigns.
  • An article on Gaming Tonic posits that "Character Generation Is Harder Than I Remember".
  • Kobold Press features The Broken Tower, a "short, divisional encounter".
  • Gnome Stew has an article about campaign, scene, and story framing.
  • Sarah Darkmagic writes about sexual discrimination in the dwarf description of the D&D Next rules.

[h=3]Boardgaming News[/h]
  • Have you got enough free time on your hands to do some extensive play testing? If so, Soda Pop Miniatures would like to hear from you so they can play test Super Dungeon Explore. To see their requirements and contact info, head to their Facebook Page.
  • Maxmini has a small selection of what it is calling Rocket Pigs. No, I don't know why, but if you need them, here they are.
  • Humanity's Shadow, the fourth data pack for FFG's Android: Netrunner Card Game, should now be available in stores. The press release on FFG's site has a sample deck you can build and use that incorporates many of the cards in the data pack.
  • Neil Gaiman's "A Study in Emerald" will soon be a Board Game thanks to Martin Wallace. Wallace recently sat down to talk to The Esoteric Order of Gamers about the game and it's associated Kickstarter Campaign as well as any influences the Great Old Ones might have had on the design.
  • Fantasy Flight Games has handed off another game line. This time it is Dust Tactics and Dust Warfare which will now be published by Battlefront Miniatures of New Zealand starting June 1st. More on the hand over and a quick FAQ can be found at FFG's website.

[h=3]RPGs Are No Longer Evil[/h]
A couple of days ago I reported on a Brazilian newspaper which claimed that RPGs led to satanism and murder. I'm pleased to report that the newspaper in question has retracted its position, clearly acknowledged that "RPGs have no relation with satanism" and published a short article to focus on the positive side of gaming.

405795_585513701473987_1495691173_n.jpg

Thanks again to Claudio Pozas for the translation:

RPG has no relation to satanism

After a special report ran in yesterday's A Tribuna, internet users rallied in social networks to clarify that Role Playing Games, better known as RPGs, have is unrelated to satanism, nor does it encourage suicides.

In A Tribuna's Facebook page, Emily Caetano said she has been playing RPGs for a long time, and likened it to children's games. “A child playing house or pretending to be a superhero, develops a story and places herself in it, which stimulates her imagination, without society condemning her. Much like I didn't throw myself off the roof when pretending to be Wonder Woman, I don't go around killing people when I play an RPG”, Emily wrote.

Victor Beligote is a 26-year-old engineer, and has been playing RPGs since age 13. According to Victor, the game is a hobby that has brought him only positive things. “RPG encouraged me to read much more and research History in order to better understand the backdropg of our games”, he said.

Psicologist Patrícia Rocco agrees with Victor. According to her, RPGs encourages creativity and strategic thinking, in addition to fostering an identification between the player and his character, with positive effects. “Sometimes players see in the characters traits they have, and sometimes they see traits they wish they had, which stimulates them to also develop these traits”, Patricia explains.

Victor knows one such gamer. “I play with a young man who was very shy and stuttered a lot. He worked on those issues in order to play RPGs better, and now is a great orator”, he relates.

delericho

Legend
Hey, and so is Margaret Weis Productions Firefly RPG, Gaming in the 'Verse! This is $29.99 and you can either pick it up at GenCon in August, or wait for it to be shipped to you after Gen Con.

Nitpick - looking at that link, it seems that that's actually a "GenCon 2013 Preview". Specifically...

This print title will include preview material that will be expanded upon and published in the upcoming Firefly Role-Playing Game based on the popular Fox television series created by Joss Whedon. In addition to sample art and entries from the corebook, fans will receive the first two, playable adventures in the Echoes of War line along with the Serenity Crew. All game material provided in Gaming in the ‘Verse will employ the Cortex Plus mechanic.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads