EN World News
- We have a review of the Premium Spell Compendium v3.5 from WotC. "It’s next to impossible to find much fault with the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5, being a “faithful” reproduction of the original with all the errata added in, and bearing an awesome looking cover. If you play D&D 3.5 or d20 variant thereof, I can honestly say this is one of those “must-have” products to keep at the gaming table just to help the session run smoother by having at the ready, a complete and easily referenced compendium of all types of spells."
- Rel talks about how we are what we choose to be or do, and how that applies to an RPG in Act How You Want To Be.
- Steal This Rule: Trust; an article from Kamikaze Midget which describes one of the best in-game reputation systems he's ever seen. Enjoy! "Relevant, effective, and granular without being overly detailed, this system does more than measure how well-liked a given party is in a region: it helps the DM to sprinkle plot lines, to get an idea of a party’s direction, and even to track time and the changes that the party can bring to an area. "
- On the right hand side of EN World's home page (lower down) is a "Coming Soon" sidebar. It's been there for a while (before that it wasn't there for a while, and before that it was there for years). I'm trying to decide whether to keep it - it simply lists WotC's and Paizo's major upcoming releases over the next few months. While I appreciate that that info, like everything else on this page and most of the web, can be found also elsewhere, my question is this: is it useful to you? Do you use it? Please let me know in the comments, as I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or not.
Dungeons & Dragons News
- Beholders: Comparative Analysis -- In this preview of the 2nd Edition re-release of the Monster Manual, we consider one of the game's most celebrated creatures: the beholder!
- Epic Campain: Storm Over Neverwinter by Aaron Williams -- In this episode of the season, the party braves the Storm Over Neverwinter: "If Lord Neverember had offered a ten grand reward for that guy in the devil mask before, we might have tried harder to keep him from escaping.
- The Talkative Tavernmaster by Ed Greenwood -- Creating a quick cast of nonplayer characters is something DMs have to do from time to time. This week, Ed provides you with a way to do this that allows you to add more flavor to your campaign—and he does so with an extended example that you can immediately use in your game.
Gen Con Industry Guests of Honor
Every year Gen Con invites the gaming industry to apply to be an "Industry Guest of Honor". These guests host seminars and panels, and consist of the following illustrious people; for more info on them, see GenCon's page.
- Angus Abranson
- Keith Baker
- Jessica Banks
- Wolfgang Baur
- Jennifer Clarke Wilkes
- Ryan Dancey
- Liz Danforth
- Matt Forbeck - IIGoH Advisory Panel
- Mitch Gitelman
- Kenneth Hite - IIGoH Advisory Panel
- Jon Hodgson
- Matt James
- Seth Johnson
- Timothy Kask
- Jennifer Kleinhenz
- Eric Lang - IIGoH Advisory Panel
- Nicole Lindroos - IIGoH Advisory Panel
- Tom Lommel
- Devin Low
- Luke Peterschmidt
- Paul Peterson
- Lewis Pulsipher
- Jeff Quick
- Philip Reed
- Larry Roznai
- Jared Sorensen
- Lizzie Stark
- Richard Thomas
- Darren Watts
- Stan! - IIGoH Advisory Panel
- Game Knight Reviews talks about the roll of Art Director on an RPG publication.
- The Hidden World is the topic today at Gnome Stew. The hidden world setting is often a world that begins by modeling the world around us, but adds a concealed truth.
- If you're a fan of gnolls, head on over to Kobold Press and read Gnasty Gnolls: Lore and Adventures.
- CLASSics: Figher, Part 2 is a a new Tale from the Gazebo from Roleplayers Chronicle.
- The Kyngdoms have released the May issue of their monthly e-zine, the Zinedoms. This month they take a look at the Longstaff Wizards, a powerful and secretive group of arcane wizards who control much of the magic trade throughout the world.
- Steve Kenson has a gust spot on the Blog of Games blog, where he talks about Game of Thrones s3e2 and the Song of Ice & Fire RPG.
Boardgaming & Other News
- Fake Doctor Who Miniatures! Get minis of "Dr. Hugh", "Ecclescake", "Nerdlord" and more. And here's some more! Here are some slightly more official looking ones. All links totally stolen form John Kovalic's twitter feed!
- The Star Wars Card Game from Fantasy Flight Games has further previews of the new Edge of Darkness expansion. This time they take a long hard look at... Jawas. Lots of Jawas. Edge of Darkness is available for pre-order from your FLGS.
- The Call of Cthulhu LCG from FFG has an article up about Fated characters and their impact on the game in the new Deluxe Expansion The Key and the Gate. The expansion should be available next week.
- WizKids has announced the next set of boosters for the Marvel HeroClix line, Wolverine and the X-Men. Featuring both heroes and adversaries, the set will contain 91 figures drawn from both the X-Men and groups like the Brotherhood Mutants and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard.