Tabletop Gaming News for Thursday, 2 May, 2013 [Spell Compendium Review; and a QUESTION! Plus GenCon

[h=3]EN World News[/h]
  • We have a review of the Premium Spell Compendium v3.5 from WotC. "It’s next to impossible to find much fault with the Premium Spell Compendium 3.5, being a “faithful” reproduction of the original with all the errata added in, and bearing an awesome looking cover. If you play D&D 3.5 or d20 variant thereof, I can honestly say this is one of those “must-have” products to keep at the gaming table just to help the session run smoother by having at the ready, a complete and easily referenced compendium of all types of spells."
  • Rel talks about how we are what we choose to be or do, and how that applies to an RPG in Act How You Want To Be.
  • Steal This Rule: Trust; an article from Kamikaze Midget which describes one of the best in-game reputation systems he's ever seen. Enjoy! "Relevant, effective, and granular without being overly detailed, this system does more than measure how well-liked a given party is in a region: it helps the DM to sprinkle plot lines, to get an idea of a party’s direction, and even to track time and the changes that the party can bring to an area. "
  • On the right hand side of EN World's home page (lower down) is a "Coming Soon" sidebar. It's been there for a while (before that it wasn't there for a while, and before that it was there for years). I'm trying to decide whether to keep it - it simply lists WotC's and Paizo's major upcoming releases over the next few months. While I appreciate that that info, like everything else on this page and most of the web, can be found also elsewhere, my question is this: is it useful to you? Do you use it? Please let me know in the comments, as I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or not.

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons News[/h]
  • Beholders: Comparative Analysis -- In this preview of the 2nd Edition re-release of the Monster Manual, we consider one of the game's most celebrated creatures: the beholder!
  • Epic Campain: Storm Over Neverwinter by Aaron Williams -- In this episode of the season, the party braves the Storm Over Neverwinter: "If Lord Neverember had offered a ten grand reward for that guy in the devil mask before, we might have tried harder to keep him from escaping.
  • The Talkative Tavernmaster by Ed Greenwood -- Creating a quick cast of nonplayer characters is something DMs have to do from time to time. This week, Ed provides you with a way to do this that allows you to add more flavor to your campaign—and he does so with an extended example that you can immediately use in your game.

[h=3]Gen Con Industry Guests of Honor[/h]
Every year Gen Con invites the gaming industry to apply to be an "Industry Guest of Honor". These guests host seminars and panels, and consist of the following illustrious people; for more info on them, see GenCon's page.

[h=3]Community News[/h]
  • Game Knight Reviews talks about the roll of Art Director on an RPG publication.
  • The Hidden World is the topic today at Gnome Stew. The hidden world setting is often a world that begins by modeling the world around us, but adds a concealed truth.
  • If you're a fan of gnolls, head on over to Kobold Press and read Gnasty Gnolls: Lore and Adventures.
  • CLASSics: Figher, Part 2 is a a new Tale from the Gazebo from Roleplayers Chronicle.
  • The Kyngdoms have released the May issue of their monthly e-zine, the Zinedoms. This month they take a look at the Longstaff Wizards, a powerful and secretive group of arcane wizards who control much of the magic trade throughout the world.
  • Steve Kenson has a gust spot on the Blog of Games blog, where he talks about Game of Thrones s3e2 and the Song of Ice & Fire RPG.

[h=3]Boardgaming & Other News[/h]

nerdlord.jpg

delericho

Legend
On the right hand side of EN World's home page (lower down) is a "Coming Soon" sidebar. It's been there for a while (before that it wasn't there for a while, and before that it was there for years). I'm trying to decide whether to keep it - it simply lists WotC's and Paizo's major upcoming releases over the next few months. While I appreciate that that info, like everything else on this page and most of the web, can be found also elsewhere, my question is this: is it useful to you? Do you use it? Please let me know in the comments, as I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or not.

That's a tricky one to answer. I like that it's there, and have occasionally used it to see what's coming up. But I haven't bought anything from WotC or Paizo other than the Pathfinder Adventure Path (which I have on subscription) for a couple of years, so I'm hard-pressed to call it "useful". I'm hopeful that that might change if and when 5e is released.

So... if everything else is equal, I'd rather have it than not. But if the effort of maintaining it is better spent elsewhere, then I wouldn't complain about it going away. I hope that helps!

Ashran

Explorer
That's a tricky one to answer. I like that it's there, and have occasionally used it to see what's coming up. But I haven't bought anything from WotC or Paizo other than the Pathfinder Adventure Path (which I have on subscription) for a couple of years, so I'm hard-pressed to call it "useful". I'm hopeful that that might change if and when 5e is released.

So... if everything else is equal, I'd rather have it than not. But if the effort of maintaining it is better spent elsewhere, then I wouldn't complain about it going away. I hope that helps!

For my part, I find that usefull, especially for someone who used to buy only wotc products and is starting to buy paizo product as well. I come here at least once a day and have a quick look to see if anything new is annonced and see if it interests me...

So for me it should be kept :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Please keep it, but even better--you could add other publisher's products to the list. ;)

I could - indeed, I've considered it. But there's a volume consideration - it would be thousands upon thousands of items long. So I'd end up having to choose, and I just don't know how to do that!

thepriz

Explorer
I don't know how this website works in the background, but it would be useful to have the Coming Soon configurable by user. What do I mean by this. If it is possible, have each person pick which publishers they would like to see. I personally like it, and use it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know how this website works in the background, but it would be useful to have the Coming Soon configurable by user. What do I mean by this. If it is possible, have each person pick which publishers they would like to see. I personally like it, and use it.

It's just me writing the side column. It's not a database or anything.

delericho

Legend
I could - indeed, I've considered it. But there's a volume consideration - it would be thousands upon thousands of items long. So I'd end up having to choose, and I just don't know how to do that!

Well, if you were to include DCC releases from Goodman and Star Wars and Warhammer releases from FFG, that would cover the top five from those quarterly rankings we keep seeing, without totally swamping it.

Just a suggestion; of course, if you think it's more trouble than it's worth then I can readily understand that. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases