D&D 5E Tabletop Rules and Guidelines

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
1. No rolling dice against other PCs. Interactions between PCs must be role played.
I let PCs roll against each other, like for example if the Rogue wants to steal something without the Paladin noticing, and they ask me whether it works or not, I'd have them roll Sleight of Hand vs. Perception. Or if they want to lie to each other, they'll roll Deception vs. Insight for a laugh. So far, this policy has led to no real-life conflict, and very minimal in-game conflict. I guess my version of this rule would be "You are supposed to be on the same team, no fighting with each other.
2. No dice shall be rolled unless the DM calls for a roll.
3. No books shall be open during combat
5. The DM's rulings are final.
Very good rules. Though, I'd go with "no player shall open a book during the session, EVER." If you didn't write it down, the DM gets to decide what it is.
4. PCs have 1-3 seconds after the DM asks "what do you do" to decide on a course of action or they lose their turn to indecision and simply take the Dodge action
I've wanted to try this ever since I heard about it, but never had the heart to pull the trigger (I mostly play with newbies). How has this worked out at the table? I'm inclined to give 6 seconds myself (i.e., "Regdar, what do you do? ...5...4...3...2...1... Regdar does nothing.").
6. Try to keep distractions such as side tangents to a minimum.
This is as vital as it is difficult to enforce. Side tangent: I once played 4e with a group that spent more time on side tangents than on the game itself. Combat usually took 3-4 hours.

I can't even imagine how you could play without access to books during combat.
Read the rules. Write it down. Know how your character works. If you can't play your character, a new, simpler character will be provided for you so you can stop wasting my time.

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
1. Before doing or saying anything, remember to consider the goals of play by asking yourself, "Is what I'm about to do or say going to be fun for everyone at the table? Is what I'm about to do or say going to help create an exciting, memorable story?" If the answer to either of those questions is "No" or "I'm not sure," then choose to do or say something else.
This is something that looks good on paper, but asking yourself and answering 2 questions before everything you say or do may not be as great in practice as it sound :)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This is something that looks good on paper, but asking yourself and answering 2 questions before everything you say or do may not be as great in practice as it sound :)

It's more about just being mindful about making good choices that support achieving the goals of play than running through a process before saying anything. :)

I'm sure we've all been in games where players make choices that are boring or annoying because "it's what my character would do." I won't have that at the table.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
It's more about just being mindful about making good choices that support achieving the goals of play than running through a process before saying anything. :)

I'm sure we've all been in games where players make choices that are boring or annoying because "it's what my character would do." I won't have that at the table.
True, but i would try to work more with such players, than to have that as a table rule for everyone personally.

pdzoch

Explorer
Hey guys, I'm running a campaign and my table has come up with a few guidelines to keep the sessions running smoothly. Some of these came about from specific instances of trouble that just needed to be rectified and prevented in the future and some came from othe DMs' tips. I wanted to hear what kind of rules or guidelines you guys use at your tables too or give me your thoughts on mine.

Here's mine:

1. No rolling dice against other PCs. Interactions between PCs must be role played.
4. PCs have 1-3 seconds after the DM asks "what do you do" to decide on a course of action or they lose their turn to indecision and simply take the Dodge action

My only rule (other than obvious courteous game play) is to be prepared to describe your actions when it is your turn (TenkayCrit's #4). Unready players slow the game down and make the game unenjoyable for everyone. One way I encouraged compliance to that rule was to allow the action taken immediately to be rolled with advantage. If they took too long, they lost the advantage. Players always want that advantage, so they stay engaged with the game and are ready when it is their turn. I would not punish the players for indecision -- it happens, especially when I have young ones playing the game.

S

Sunseeker

There are plenty of reasons why this is just...a problem. Like, what if two PCs are fighting? It can be for run, for serious or for whatever. Not everyone is as good with words as they want their character to be and not everyone role-plays the same way. Imagine a person role-playing a 3rd-person, narrator style of what their character does, as opposed to a player who is first-person role-playing. Dice rolls can be important because they can help determine how well a person sounds in game, even if they can't quite muster that as a real person.

I simply don't subscribe to the idea that the players are bound by my hand on everything. Their characters CAN do something and often, calling for a roll gives away the solution. "There's a door in front of you, roll arcana." gives away there is something magical going on here which I may not wish to do. If I tell them there is a heavy door, they may use all the skills at their disposal, whenever they like to do whatever they want. Maybe they want to hit it with an axe, maybe they want to listen through it, how should I know?

If it helps them know what they're doing, I don't mind. If it's a distraction it's a distraction. I get to determine which is which, but if someone got a new spell and needs to reference it, or made a new character and isn't familiar with their class yet, I don't mind the PHB being open to aid them.

That's an insanely minuscule amount of time. Whenever it's my player's turn, they have one minute to act, or at least decide what they are going to do before they have passed on their turn.

I'm always open to a good alternative, but typically yes, when I say something is something, it is final.

Most reasonable thing you've said.

S

Sunseeker

My only rule (other than obvious courteous game play) is to be prepared to describe your actions when it is your turn (TenkayCrit's #4). Unready players slow the game down and make the game unenjoyable for everyone. One way I encouraged compliance to that rule was to allow the action taken immediately to be rolled with advantage. If they took too long, they lost the advantage. Players always want that advantage, so they stay engaged with the game and are ready when it is their turn. I would not punish the players for indecision -- it happens, especially when I have young ones playing the game.

My only kvetch with this rule, and it has always been with such rules, is: where does that leave people who aren't pulling off exciting effects in game? There's only so many ways I can tell you "I stab them with my sword!" especially when I'm doing it 3-6 times a round before it gets dull and irritating.

feartheminotaur

First Post
I was thinking that a table rule I should implement is that everything needs to be converted to base 16.

I mean, if a Warlock can concentrate on Hex throughout short rests and combats, then the least the players can do is concentrate on hex during the playing session.

Hmm...there's no "Booo! Hissss!" button, I'll go with "Laugh" - but that's merely a chuckle mister/ma'am!

Remove ads