• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tactical Supervision (Warlord 6)

Atreides

First Post
Hey everyone!

Tactical Supervision

Encounter
bullet.gif
Martial
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 10
Trigger: An ally makes a basic attack, a bull rush, or a charge within 10 squares of you
Target: The triggering ally in burst
Effect: The target gains a power bonus to the attack roll equal to your Intelligence modifier.

OK - so this is an Immediate Interrupt with the trigger of a basic attack, bull rush or charge.

My key question, is do you declare the interrupt before or after they roll the die?

Thanks!

chitzk0i

Explorer
The trigger is "ally makes a basic attack". If they haven't rolled, then they haven't made the attack, and the power hasn't triggered yet.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I would interpret it as you do with the Wizards Shield power, that is that you can interrupt a potential miss and give it the bonus so it turns into a hit.

Atreides

First Post
Encounter
bullet.gif
Arcane, Force
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: You gain a +4 power bonus to AC and Reflex defense until the end of your next turn.

The trigger on shield is different though - the trigger is being hit, so clearly the die must already have been rolled.

That being said, the compendium does not list a definition for 'Attack' - is there a breakdown somewhere that creates a separate step for 'declare attack' then 'roll attack'?

sfedi

First Post
I interpret this as:

"I attack the orc with a melee basic attack"

** attack triggers here **

"I roll 22 vs AC and hit/miss"

** miss or hit triggers here **

"I roll 1d10 + 6 for damage, that's a total of 8"

** damage triggers here **

So in the case of the OP, after declaring the attack, you can use the interrupt.

AngryMojo

First Post
Because it's an interrupt, it would trigger before the attack roll is made. If it was an immediate reaction, it would trigger after the attack. Immediate interrupts can potentially stop the action theyre interrupting.

Think of a fighter's mark going off. The monster declares it's thwacking your rogue buddy, you make your attack before it gets to. If you kill the monster before it attacks your rogue buddy, then no attack happens. The attack from a fighter's mark is an immediate interrupt.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Interrupts happen before the trigger is resolved, reactions happen after it's resolved. The problem is that resolving an attack is a multi-step process. You choose a target, check the range, cover, and concealment, calculate modifiers, roll to hit, determine if the attack succeeded, roll damage, deduct resistance, inflict damage, aply effects.... With a reaction, it's easy, once all that is done, you react. With an interrupt, it's less clear. You could go with /before/ any of that happens, you could go with the interrupt happening as soon as the attack is comitted to, or, you could allow the interrupt to happen any time before the attack is resolved.

And, to make the whole issue another little bit blurrier, there is no uniquivocal defition of 'attack,' by itself. 'Attack roll,' 'attack power,' etc... sure, but not just plain 'attack.'

Starfox

Hero
From a pure power-balance and ease-of-play standpoint, I'd say let the player use it after the roll - that slows down the game less. Now, I don't really think this will be such a huge problem - how many basic attacks/charges does your group do? I suppose that depends on how many barbarians you have.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
There's two questions here - one is "when does the player announce the interrupt power?" and "when does the power occur" There's no disputing that the bonus to the attack has to occur mechanically prior to the roll being made so that it can add to the roll. So what we're really asking here is can the player declare it after the triggering roll is made and then retcon the bonus in? My answer is yes - the warlord can declare the power after the roll is physically made. Immediate Interrupts are too valuable to just throw away and the whole point of a Warlord (IMHO) is the ability to say "no, my buddy hit"

Atreides

First Post
Interrupts happen before the trigger is resolved, reactions happen after it's resolved. The problem is that resolving an attack is a multi-step process. You choose a target, check the range, cover, and concealment, calculate modifiers, roll to hit, determine if the attack succeeded, roll damage, deduct resistance, inflict damage, aply effects.... With a reaction, it's easy, once all that is done, you react. With an interrupt, it's less clear. You could go with /before/ any of that happens, you could go with the interrupt happening as soon as the attack is comitted to, or, you could allow the interrupt to happen any time before the attack is resolved.

And, to make the whole issue another little bit blurrier, there is no uniquivocal defition of 'attack,' by itself. 'Attack roll,' 'attack power,' etc... sure, but not just plain 'attack.'

THIS - is basically the exact issue. Can the interrupt occur during any part of the attack process or does it have to occur at a specific point during the attack process.

The power is certainly a lot more useful if it can be used after the die has been rolled but before a 'miss' or 'hit' has been declared.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads