D&D 5E "Tactics are an Important Part of D&D" (a poll)

True or False: "Tactics are important part of D&D"

• True.

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • False.

Votes: 26 27.1%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This poll is open to be looked at from the perspective of a DM or player, and has a very simple premise:

True or False: "Tactics are important part of D&D"

By tactics I mean things like cover, elevation, flanking, making use of the environment in other ways, and coming up with plans that are actually sound (and don't only succeed because of DM fiat), and so on.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Where's the option for "it depends on the table?" Depending on the mix of players the tactical game might be hugely important or it might not matter at all.

Heck even within a player group things can shift - for my main group tactics were king 20 years ago, now they prefer to play combat without a grid and do things more "theater of the mind".

(I suppose ultimately that means that for me tactics don't matter much since I'm willing to adapt my DMing approach to whatever the players want to do. I know that I've never gotten the same enjoyment out of the tactical minis game that my players did, though I have fun with it).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd say yes. The only time I've ever had TPKs is when the party has made large tactical errors. A good proportion of player deaths have come down to bad tactics on the part of individual players.

I'd also say tactics should be part of D&D. There are plenty of good RPGs to handle the storytelling and thespian parts of the game, there aren't nearly as many that make for an interesting wargame.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
"theater of the mind".
Theater of Mind does not preclude tactics.

(I suppose ultimately that means that for me tactics don't matter much since I'm willing to adapt my DMing approach to whatever the players want to do. I know that I've never gotten the same enjoyment out of the tactical minis game that my players did, though I have fun with it).

Sounds like a "false" to me.

Mercurius

Legend
Where's the option for "it depends on the table?"
95% of forum questions, discussions, and debates could be solved by this, but for some reason there's this common view that we must all be on the same page, or that there is a "right way" to play.

(not saying the OP is suggesting this, but it is often implied).

D&D is a game that is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. For some it is a game in which they can create worlds and stories and share it with their friends; for others, it is a way to engage in imaginary worlds and stories, as a fun once-a-week past-time; for some, it is mostly a tactical combat game; for others, it is more a game to play-act a role; and for some, even, it is a way to explore their own sub-conscious feelings, wishes and fantasies, while for others it is a diversion to roll dice, kill things and take their stuff. Some people want to explore real-world socio-political dynamics in fantasy allegory, while others want nothing of the sort and just want to play a fun game of adventure and imagination.

And for most, it is some combination of the above, and more.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Tactics are a part of the D&D combat board game. And the combat board game is still a large part of D&D on the whole-- that's why 90% of a character sheet's information is about the parts used in the combat board game, and an entire book of three consists of enemies to use in the combat board game.

That being said... to me the D&D board game pales in comparison to a large number of other board games out there. Ones with better tactics, better strategy, better balance, and much more compelling gameplay from a rules perspective in my opinion. And thus worrying about the tactics of the D&D board game is like putting lipstick on a pig. To me, it's all the other things we have in D&D that are more worthwhile and make the game great and fun, rather than the mechanics of the board game itself. And even when we look at D&D combat... I find it much more fun thinking about the story and narrative of the fight during the fight than I do any game mechanic.

I'll choose "I'm gonna run between the monster's legs and then jump to a rock and backflip off of it, doing a twist in midair to then land on the monster's back before stabbing it in it's kidney"... to "Use my Movement while staying within the creature's Reach to thus not provoke an Opportunity Attack, in order to get on the far side of the creature to gain a +2 bonus to my Attack Roll for Flanking and then add my +2d6 Sneak Attack dice to Damage"... any day of the week. :)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
This is extremely tough to answer.

I personally believe tactics SHOULD be important. I just don't believe that every edition has actually MADE them important. 3e was particularly egregious in that regard, but 5e isn't exactly breaking records when it comes to teamwork and tactics.

Remove ads