D&D 5E "Tactics are an Important Part of D&D" (a poll)

True or False: "Tactics are important part of D&D"

• True.

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • False.

Votes: 26 27.1%

MadArkitekt

Eternal
Epic
This poll is open to be looked at from the perspective of a DM or player, and has a very simple premise:

True or False: "Tactics are important part of D&D"

By tactics I mean things like cover, elevation, flanking, making use of the environment in other ways, and coming up with plans that are actually sound (and don't only succeed because of DM fiat), and so on.
True
Its combat, if you don't move as a unit, it's gonna be a bad day.

Argyle King

Legend
I want to say "true."

However, what D&D views as good tactics doesn't always match up with what actually would be good tactics in a situation (even with leeway given for fantasy elements and narrative tropes).

I think that still makes my vote "true," but I would also say false it a lot of ways. Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of D&D players struggle with other rpgs in which small-unit tactics are important.

Reynard

Legend
My perspective is this: tactically precise combat doesn't necessarily need to be an important part of the game, BUT if it is then the tactical rules of the game need to be well designed.

Andvari

Hero
Having more tactical options does indeed = more tactics.
This is kind of my point. Sometimes players get trapped by their character sheet and don’t think outside the options written there. You don’t need a feat or special ability to pick up a goblin and throw it at their friends. Or douse a tripped ogre in liquor and set him on fire.

In a computer game the actions have to be pre-defined by the designers, but in D&D you just tell the DM what you want to do and he tells you to roll some dice. :)

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Except DMs are trained to make those ideas suboptimal.

Oh, you wanna throw a goblin? Time for lots of rolls, each with a chance of failure and also a penalty to each!

Wanna set that ogre on fire? Time to argue forever about whether dwarven rum would actually light so they can wiggle out of letting it work.

The character sheet is there to provide consistency and reliability and I'm kind of tire of people disparaging it. All that does it encourage lazy game design.

Andvari

Hero
My players don’t seem to mind being able to do those things - despite them not being on their feat lists on their sheets. I like rewarding them for using the environment creatively. Even if some DMs don’t.

Remove ads