Take An Adventure In Dystopia With Palladium's Original After The Bomb

The inaugural scenario in Palladium’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures has two possible outcomes: rescuing a military installation from those lovable, cuddly, psychopathic, psionic miscreants, the Terror Bears or annihilating 75% of the country in a sudden launch of the nuclear stockpile. Little did anyone know this adventure would launch a line that outlasted the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles license at Palladium Books.

The inaugural scenario in Palladium’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures has two possible outcomes: rescuing a military installation from those lovable, cuddly, psychopathic, psionic miscreants, the Terror Bears or annihilating 75% of the country in a sudden launch of the nuclear stockpile. Little did anyone know this adventure would launch a line that outlasted the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles license at Palladium Books.

In the first part of this book, players are introduced to the plot. Nuclear annihilation, otherwise known as the Big Death, has resulted in the destruction of much of the east coast, wiping out many humans in its wake. A side effect of the blast is the mutation of most animals and the creation of their own societies.

After getting the introduction out of the way, designer Erick Wujcik tells the us about life after the Big Death. Players are informed they’ll more than likely be citizens of Cardania and a few other details, such as money and interspecies dating are briefly covered. Everything is highly detailed here, as the reader learns about the new cities and their various conflicts.

A common theme in this setting is slavery. The inhabitants of one kingdom, Bird Island, enslave their own kind. In the remains of was once Long Island, NY, the mutated birds possessing the ability of flight are in charge. They’ve enslaved all flightless birds, creating a society in which any sort of scientific or technological research is prohibited and outsiders are distrusted. They’re focused on preserving their own history and what little technology they possess.

Other lands are New Kennel (an entire region populated by mutated dogs and aligned with the humans) Cardania (the most functional of the mutant societies), the Filly Rat Cartel (exactly what it sounds like), the Land of Free Cattle (a loose association of tribes) and N’Yak (a post-apocalyptic Manhattan).

Humans originally assisted mutants following the Big Death. Over time, mutants came to distrust humans and the two groups grew apart. The Empire of Humanity has giant robot Mechs, Jets with laser cannons and evil humans galore. Emperor Christian is the leader of the empire, and primary villain, holds control over most humans in the setting. Christian is secretly a mutant with the ability to become stone, an ability he uses to remain in control of the population. He’s got the evil dictator trope down pat, right down to counting an altruistic general and a bumbling right hand man among his cohorts.

The book shines with its adventure selection, whose highlights include an adventure with zombies and gun-wielding rabbits (Gun Bunnies and Zombies), an adventure involving enormous mutated insects (Clem’s Big Adventure) and an introductory adventure to get your players accustomed to the setting (A Journey to Boar’s Town). Three other adventures—Aerial Supremacy, The Power of Ali Komani and the Rodent Plague—are intended for more experienced parties.

Wujcik’s writing here is detailed, as always, but does have some minor spelling issues. Otherwise, he paints a dark and dystopian story that manages to also be amusing and enjoyable.

TMNT co-creator Peter Laird’s distinctive art style permeates the pages of the book. A mutant alligator at in the first few pages bears a striking resemblance to recurring TMNT villain Leatherhead, while some impressive tech, mutant rabbits and humans can be spotted throughout the text. There are some vehicles later in the book that bear a striking resemblance to the Technodrome form the TMNT cartoons/video games. I’m surprised I didn’t see any stone warriors.

At a scant 48 pages, the first edition of After the Bomb manages to create a worthwhile extension to the TMNT/Palladium universe that is both ludicrous and fun. It has more depth than the following TMNT Adventures and isn’t bogged down by extensive rules and instructions. The supplements for the first edition range from Mad Max style antics to space and beyond.

Contributed by David J. Buck

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

After the Bomb perhaps cranked the gonzo-weirdness up even further with its post-apocalyptic mutant animal world. I remember digging the Yucatan and Arthurian England locations.

Arguably, it was a better fit then the original core setting, with more room for our own stories, all the mutant creatures making more sense in this world.

tgmoore

Explorer
Ahh my first love. I didn’t even realize one needed TMNT & Other Strangeness to play. At the time. Just the art and setting was enough to set 10 year old imagination aflame. Mom knew D&D was satantic! But the Turtles were good to go!

blakesha

Explorer
Where my love of post-apocalyptic rpgs started :)

And in nearly every one I have played I have gone back to "how do i recreate the After the Bomb setting in this game system"

Reynard

Legend
Although it has a bit of a linear meta-plot to it, Mutant year Zero:GenLab Alpha seems to be a pretty good spiritual successor to After the Bomb.

blakesha

Explorer
Yeah. I got a copy of that as soon as I could. Once the "robot" and "human" supplements are out, and work out how to implement the mechs in the rules I think it would work best to get the general feel, the ambience of After the Bomb..

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Why the name of the evil emperor is Christian and not Henry Crowell, Vladimir, Zhao Gao, Castro, Urraca Jones, Robespierre or Abu Almanzor?

Because if you were an evil emperor you would want to pick a name that would instill trust and hope in the people and help them overlook signs of oppression. What better name than "Christian"? You'd never pick a name that could be linked to an actual dictator in history where people might associate your rule with tyranny.

This sort of insidious appropriation of names, or the association of something bad with something good to elicit an emotional response counter to objective factual reality and to further the political aims of the appropriator, is common in modern politics, in the US, and likely around the world.

I won't cite specific examples, because EN World has a no politics rule, but if I did I'd surely elicit an emotional response that would exactly prove my point as people internalize these phrases and word associations to re-affirm their own world view.

Remove ads

Remove ads