• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking 20 Too Often

DonTadow

First Post
I know its not possible for everyone, but I rarely let my players roll things like spot and listen. I roll these rolls secret and normally once per floor of the dungeon.

All I need a player to do is tell me they are searching for a trap. I then count the traps ni the dungeon and secretly roll his search for them against the dc. That way nothings being sloweddown by the roll police.

Now, I have noticed that when players start taking 20 and 10, it could indicate that they think the yare rolling too many dice or that they dont like to roll dice at all. I have a player in my game whom play style is to use as little dice as possible. I try to adjust the game to fit these needs while not letting much crunch players down. I've encouraged himto take feats that allow him to take 10s and 20s on rolls you normally can't and asked him if him to preroll rolls for things like move and hide.

Remove ads