• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

guachi

Hero
I'd be excited if I didn't already own these (except dead in thay, not a classic) in PDF ($5 on dndclassics!) or paper form (eBay!).

I'm happy these will exist in a 5e form. But I, like all the other APs, won't be buying this. Shoot, I own two of these from Dungeons of Dread hardback WotC published a few years back. If I didn't already own them, I'd be buying this. Or if I could get it for $25.

None of these dungeons would be on my personal top 15 of classic dungeons to do, anyway. Top 30, sure.

Louis Brenton

Explorer
I'm thrilled with this. Glad to have some shorter adventures, even if they're 5e reskinning of some classics. Fascinated to hear how the upcoming Adventurer's League season will work in light of this.

Vampyr3

Explorer
What's the Yawning Portal?

The Yawning Portal inn, built in 1306 on the ruins of Halaster Blackcloak's old tower, gained most of its renown for being the primary open route to the Undermountain. A well within its walls led down into the first dungeon of Undermountain.The Yawning Portal was located on Rainrun Street in Waterdeep's Castle Ward between Waterdeep Castle and Snail Street.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
that is AWESOME.

So much better then I imagined.

It also raises some awkward timing issues for my campaign...but I will figure those out.

Also, the ToH rumors turned out to be true. I just couldn't see them doing a single big adventure around it (like they did in 4e). But this is so much better in any case.

guachi

Hero
If I can get the book for free, I'd be delighted to run these for my local AL shop. The non-AL campaign I run there is all old modules. (Though not these as they aren't my favorites)

flametitan

Explorer
I'm curious if they didn't put Undermountain in this so that the AL team could cover Undermountain (while the title of the book allows for an excuse for the AL season to be about Undermountain.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm curious if they didn't put Undermountain in this so that the AL team could cover Undermountain (while the title of the book allows for an excuse for the AL season to be about Undermountain.)

Ooooh, good call: maybe the big Undermountain Open was testing out stuff for the season adventures to gon on DMsGuild?

In that case, both ToH and Undetmountain theories would be right, at the same time...

These are (mostly) all fine adventures and I am glad they will be available to a new generation of players. It just seems like doing some 5E conversions of existing material (available as PDF and soon hopefully POD) is a bit weaksause to be the big, AAA, premium, semi-annual 5E product. I seem to recall that WotC did a 3rd edition update of ToH as a free download back in the day - IMHO that seems like a better route for a simple conversion than a hardback that will likely be the only 5E material we will see for months.

Jer

Legend
Supporter

Now that's an interesting bit of speculation. I'm assuming that they didn't put Undermountain into this because they're planning on eventually giving Undermountain its own AP all to itself and are just figuring out how to go about doing that in a single book AP-sized book.

Remove ads

Remove ads