D&D 5E Tales From the Yawning Portal Needs a Sequel

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I really liked Tales From the Yawning Portal as it compiled and updated several classic adventure modules. We kind of got that too with Ghosts of Saltmarsh, though that stayed more to a theme.

We've had a few more anthology books with original content since, which is great. However, I'm craving more of those classic adventure conversions.

I know that Goodman Games does their Original Adventures Reincarnated (OAR) books, but they only cover 1-2 adventures each.

Anyone else wanting a sequel to Tales From the Yawning Portal? If so, what adventures would you put in it?

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, we need "Stories from the Shady Dragon" - do several classic D&D (Mystara) adventures. This could be something like B1 - Into the Unknown, B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess, B10 - Night's Dark Terror, X4 - Master of the Desert Nomads, X5 - Temple of Death, X10 - Red Arrow, Black Shield, and ending with CM1 - Test of the Warlords. While mostly an anthology, there is a theme being land/army management - the party clears out and gets access to a underground stronghold, removes a curse from a kingdom (thus gaining its favor, possibly titles), fights the kingdom's various enemies and builds an army and eventually establish their own realm. Not only do we get some old material updated, it's a place where mass combat and realm rules can be fleshed out.

And there's plenty of inns/taverns that could be used for further anthologies if we want to use the inn/tavern theme.

Comeback Inn (Mystara/Blackmoor)
Green Griffon Tavern/Inn (Greyhawk)
Inn of the Last Home (Dragonlance)
World Serpent Inn (Planescape)
Inn of the Welcome Wench (Greyhawk)

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Yeah, we need "Stories from the Shady Dragon" - do several classic D&D (Mystara) adventures. This could be something like B1 - Into the Unknown, B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess, B10 - Night's Dark Terror, X4 - Master of the Desert Nomads, X5 - Temple of Death, X10 - Red Arrow, Black Shield, and ending with CM1 - Test of the Warlords. While mostly an anthology, there is a theme being land/army management - the party clears out and gets access to a underground stronghold, removes a curse from a kingdom (thus gaining its favor, possibly titles), fights the kingdom's various enemies and builds an army and eventually establish their own realm. Not only do we get some old material updated, it's a place where mass combat and realm rules can be fleshed out.
I love this idea, especially from B10 onwards. That would be awesome.

I could do without the inclusion of B1, since Goodman Gamea already covered that one. Contrary to most, I don't recall B3 being that good, aside from its nostalgia value. Might have to give it another look. Maybe include B6 - The Veiled Society instead?

My Stories from the Green Dragon Inn would include:

N4 - Treasure Hunt (official 0 level rules!)
N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God
UK 1 - Beyond the Crystal Cave
I2 - Tomb of the Lizard King (which I would tack on after the Saltmarsh trilogy)
I7 - Baltron's Beacon (to be linked with I2)
S4 - Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
WG4 - Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

I also would be happy with a volume collecting updated versions of the UK series modules, and another featuring updated 5e versions of A0-4 (plus related material published in Dungeon+), and same for D1-3 and Q1. And when I say "updated," I mean more than just stat conversions... I'd like improvements made to the stories where required, though many would of course argue about what, if any, those changes should be.

EDIT: Deep down, I'd love them to update/revise the various 2nd ed post-Greyhawk Wars modules, but I know that definitely won't happen.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I'd be more interested in someone putting together hidden gems than gems.

I can grab old adventures off the internet and update to 5E. I've done it on the fly before for a rush situation. In fact, I just did it for Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to accomodate a request.

However, there are a lot of really good adventures written between 1978 and 2010 that were in magazines, posted to the internet, or otherwise not widely published in a way where they received the attention that they deserved that I'd like to see uncovered, collected, and tweaked to tie them together to form a great adventure path.

Heck, I'd also like to see the old Adventure Paths like Shackled City, Age of Worms, etc... updated.

Remove ads