D&D 5E Talk to me about Monster Math

am181d

Adventurer
I'm starting a Next campaign on Wednesday. For folks who've been playing regularly, how is the math looking? Are there any quick tweaks I can make so that things balance a little better? (Say, bump up To Hit or AC or knock down HP or something?)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm starting a Next campaign on Wednesday. For folks who've been playing regularly, how is the math looking? Are there any quick tweaks I can make so that things balance a little better? (Say, bump up To Hit or AC or knock down HP or something?)

It works fine as it is. If anything, I am finding the 1HD monsters to be a tad on the weak side (they often go down in a single hit), but I am also finding they're really worth very little in terms of XP (10XP, divided by number of party members) so that seems to be the intent.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
It mostly works, for the most part. Mostly it's too easy. The game mostly isn't dependent on the tightness of the math, so don't feel bad about doubling HP or increasing to-hit by 1 or 2.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Just heed the advice in the playtest docs about multiple opponents. Most evenly matched encounters 1:1 ratio are not so hard for PCs. 1:2 ratio gets harder. 1:3 gets really hard possibly deadly.

Also, creatures with area of effect attacks make the encounter much harder, especially if there are multiple creatures who can use those attacks (this includes spellcasters as well).

When I want a fight to go on longer...I generally beef up 1 or 2 of the opponents -- a chief or sub-chief.

Also, ranged attacks are also more deadly, especially if the ranged attacker can fire and duck behind cover, and/or if the PCs cannot get to them so easily (because they have to engage melee attackers or as a result of terrain features).

Things can get swingy, so you can always start with fewer foes, and send reinforcements in if you feel the need to challenge a group during a specific encounter.

Part of the thing that takes getting used to (especially if you've DMd or played a lot of 4e) is that equal encounters may seem really easy at the beginning of an adventuring day when casters have all their spells and others have use of all their limited resources...but...the same encounter after the party has used a lot of resources could be more deadly.

jrowland

First Post
With all due apologies to Bobby Pickett:

"I was working on the playtest, late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the math, he did the monster math
The monster math, it was a FLGS smash
He did the math, it caught on in a flash
He did the math, he did the monster math

From the wizards, on the coast east