D&D General Talking about Stepping Away from D&D?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The odd thing is Kyles interviews are going well to me. I don’t think he’s lying about things that happened or what was going on in the company, just his view point of it, but to each his own o how we take it.

If you don’t mind, keep us in the loop on how the game groups go as we all may go through it at some point and can learn from how it went.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Haven't had to have "the talk" because I wasn't concerned about the OGL changes that they were trying to push through (I actually think it's done a lot of good for TTRPG when you look at the responses from other game companies). Some of the people I play with did have a chat about the OGL, but it didn't really concern them either, we just kept on scheduling and playing the game.

I should note, I wouldn't mind playing other games either. We did have one of my players run us through a SF system he created which was a fun break. I kind of want to run an essence20 transformers game or maybe Fabula Ultima, or even Fallout Ultima which is my fallout 4 hack of the game.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I've said it, before, I'll say it, again:

Level Up. A5e.

Talk to your table about swapping to a different, new, version of D&D and take that step. You'll still be able to benefit from the big D&D community to a large degree, but it won't exactly -be- D&D, so your conscience can be soothed.

Retreater

Legend
I've said it, before, I'll say it, again:

Level Up. A5e.

Talk to your table about swapping to a different, new, version of D&D and take that step. You'll still be able to benefit from the big D&D community to a large degree, but it won't exactly -be- D&D, so your conscience can be soothed.
I have Level Up, but how accessible do you think it is for newer, younger players who have just started to learn basic 5e?
I have a hard time distancing myself and seeing a system through their eyes.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Have any of you had "the talk" at your table?
My players don't follow the news and likely know nothing (and care nothing) about the situation. But I'm running two weekly 5e games, and I'm not feeling it anymore.
I don't want to look at the books. I don't want to go with the group to watch the movie together. I don't want to drink from my D&D Tumbler. I don't want this brand in my life.
I'm wondering how the discussion might go. How do I address that I want to stop playing their favorite game because of some idealogical dispute with a corporation? How do I frame this in a way so we can all keep having fun without me looking even more dishevelled than usual?
I’d generally suggest being honest. But if think they will react poorly or it will cause problems with the group, say it’s burn out. If you have other games you’d rather play, run one-shots of those. If you need a break generally, take one. It’s supposed to be a fun hobby. Good luck.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I have Level Up, but how accessible do you think it is for newer, younger players who have just started to learn basic 5e?
I have a hard time distancing myself and seeing a system through their eyes.
Pretty accessible, really. They'll probably look at it and go "Oh wow! Upgrades!" because for them a new edition is gonna be a lot like a video game expansion.

New toys to play with.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Wasn't 1.2 the one they had the survey to review? Are we talking about 1.1 (which was the really "draconian" one)?

I want them to stop lying to me. I was basically okay with everything after the Creative Commons solution. It is Kyle Brink that is pushing me over the edge now.
What if you just stopped reading or listening to anything that guy has to say?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Easiest way to avoid being lied to is to just stop listening to what they have to say.

Play the game because your family and friends want to play the game, and stop worrying about the company that makes it. Why let them live rent-free in your head by reading up on everything they do? After all... if you keep digging and looking long enough, you'll find every single company and person in the entire world will have done something you disapproved of.

And if you can't handle that truth... then you have to just let it go.

(EDIT) Apparently @iserith had the same thought.

Remove ads