[Tarumen, Land of Earth and Sky] Secrets Below - OOC

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
To those people to whom I promised that if I started a third game I needed to be hit with spikesticks, consider me hit. But I have some buddies I knew in college that are in need of a game, so I'm starting up my third and hopefully that will be the last!

This game is closed, and if or until circumstances change, I will not be accepting additional players or alternates.

Rogue's Gallery

~~~~~~~~~~

The land is a large forest as far as the eye can see, following the undulating rocky hills that bend and ripple the land like waves upon a lake. A bright haze fills the air high above, keeping things in the distance indistinct. It is a hot land, with long, sun-filled days and brief cool nights. Sturdy trees stab skyward, their massive trunks covered with fibrous bark, their roots plunging downward to wrest water from the soil. Ferns and small plants cluster near the bases where the trees' roots trap precious moisture.

Entire villages here can be concealed within a fold of the hills, and often are, for the philosophy of all the races is to make as little mark upon the land as possible. Elves make their villages amongst the treetops, connected with rope bridges. Some have gone their entire lives without ever touching the ground. Dwarves make their homes deep underground in the rocky soil, reaping the benefits of the earth. They use volcanic fissures to heat their forges, the vents sending steam and smoke into the air at the surface.

Halflings actually live within the trees, hollowing out small spaces like the woodpeckers they keep as pets. Unlike the elves that use rope bridges, the halflings usually simply climb from place to place without anything more than ten strong fingers and toes. An entire village may be within a single tree, with homes at one level, shops at another and so on. Gnomes tend to life just beneath the surface, hollowing out single hills or groups of hills, instead of going deep underground. They share their homes with a variety of burrowing animals that act as companions and guards. Gnomes tend to use their inborn skill at illusion to conceal their homes so well as to look as if they're not there.

Humans, of all the races, make the most mark upon the land. Prying stones from the earth, they create stone structures between the giant trees, and even plant trees atop them to further conceal them. As the link between trees and earth, human villages are often bustling centers of trade for all races.

Orcs and their goblinoid kin are nomads, restless wanderers with no permanent homes. They sleep in tents of hide, carried upon the backs of their mighty elk steeds. Hunters without peer and bloodthirsty warriors, orcs are feared by other races for their sudden, lethal raids.

With the land separated by vast forests, there are no great emperors or kingdoms. Each village, town, and thorpe is its own authority. Some are run by certain bloodlines, or particular races, by guild leaders, men, women, elders, or a collective effort. Some are theocracies or magocracies, or even stranger forms of goverment. Each village can be very unique.

This is a raw land, bordered by a great ocean on the west, and mountains far to the east. Great storms can occur without warning, earthquakes can shake the land, and hot springs and geysers can suddenly erupt. These fits of nature can set loose dangerous creatures to maraud the countryside and cause great woe. When this happens, strong heroes are needed to stem the tide of destruction.

This is your land. This is your home. This is Tarumen, the Land of Earth and Sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You will be 4th level characters, 32-point buy, standard wealth (5,400gp) with no more than half your wealth spent on any one item. All 3.5 books are available with the exception of the Book of Nine Swords. I know you guys don't have much of the 3.5 books, but try the 3.5 SRD if you like. Psionics is allows, but do check the 3.5 rules, as they've changed substantially. I still have my 3.0 splatbooks (Sword and Fist, etc.) so double-check with me to see if there's an updated spell, feat, or magic item you want to use. I'd rather not use the Forgotten Realms regional feats, so please don't.

Hit points will be max at first level, then 75% + Con each level thereafter, rounding up.

I'm making the following minor changes to the races to reflect the world: Elves and half-elves get a +2 racial bonus to Balance checks to reflect their inborn sense of security high above ground. Half-orcs get a +2 racial bonus to Survival checks to reflect their nomadic lifestyle.

Because of the prevalence of climbing and falling and possible flying, there are some minor changes to magic item prices. Rings of climbing and feather-falling are 20% off, as are scrolls and potions relating to climbing (like spider climb), flying, or feather-falling. Some magic items, specifically those relating to flight or climbing, are 20% off as well. This includes ropes of climbing, slippers of spider-climb, troll-gut rope, carpets of flying, boots of flying, wings of flying, or similar items.

Also, here are some considerations: Many races live in or close to the trees. Heavy armor is generally not used because it interferes with climbing those trees. However, it may be used by those who travel upon the ground or under the ground (humans, orcs, dwarves, sometimes gnomes). Also because of the fact that it's relatively hot, most prefer armor made of anything but metal. Leather, bone, leaves, wicker, cord, and hide are more common than metal. (The Arms and Equipment Guide has stats for several of those types of armor.) The exception to this are the dwarves, who tend to live in the deep earth, where the temperature is much cooler. A common joke if someone is complaining about the heat is, "What, you're a dwarf now?"

The tree-dwelling races have little occasion to ride horses, dogs, or elk. However the tree-dwelling races do train giant eagles, owls, and ravens to carry them long distances. A trained elk runs the same price as a heavy warhorse. A trained giant eagle is 5,000gp, a trained giant owl is 5,000gp, and a trained giant raven is 3,500gp. If someone really, really wants a trained giant bird (because it's out of the price guidelines I set) please let me know and we can work something out. Also, a monitor lizard (use stats out of the MM) can be used as a mount, and it costs the same as a heavy horse.

For those interested in rangers, here's some suggestions for favored enemies (and this also applies to those who wonder what kinds of things you might be facing): In a world of large trees and large forests, the animals tend to grow to massive proportions, as do the magical beasts, magical plants, vermin, and oozes. Giants also roam the hills and mountains. Elementals tend to lurk wherever the massive storms have passed. Undead, outsiders, and dragons are fairly rare. Aberrations are neither rare nor common. Of course various humanoids (goblins, orcs, ogres) also roam in great numbers. The most common threat to a human or gnome village is humanoids, giants, vermin, irate plants, or mad beasts. In the trees its animals, magical beasts, and plants most often. Dwarves are most often plagued with humanoids, giants, vermin, and oozes.

Heroes of Earth and Sky
Clonz - Dristun Sikun Noba [NG Male Halfling Cleric 4 of Ehlonna]
DwarfLover - Durak Bolgrin [CG Male Dwarf Fighter 4]
cypar7 - Sylarin Farseer [NG Male Human Rogue 4]
Feldegast - Blitzen G Firkinfilcher [NG Male Halfling Rogue 4]

Last edited:

Feldegast

First Post
Feldegast aka David

Hello, just making my first post to let you know my screen name. I am playing a halfling rogue, more details to soon follow - posting into the rogue's gallery.

Thanks for opening up a game - been too long not playing anything.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Glad to see ya! Man, four years without gaming, I would have up and gone batty.

Just so y'all know, while I do have some ideas for this world, I don't have things detailed down to the last outhouse. There's a certain amount of leeway for mutual world-building. If you want to reference towns or landmarks or things of that nature, do feel free to make them up.

DwarfLover

First Post
Brian - Defensive Help

I'm looking at a very defensive style of combat for my character, and I'm coming up pretty short in the way of feats and/or prestige classes. If anyone had any ideas, it would be appreciated.

I have looked at the dwarven defender prestige class, and I have to say I'm less than impressed. Combat expertise (and the other feats in that tree) would be useful but I simply don't have the Int for them. The shield feat(s) I saw were offensive in nature, I'm looking for something like shield specialization, and getting +1 ac, or something of that nature.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ah, I know precisely what you need. Those Shield Specialization feats are in the PHBII. Go look them up, and then you can e-mail me to discuss them if you need to.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok gentlemen, what I need before I start is, obviously, your character sheets and backgrounds. I also need to know if you would like to know each other beforehand, or not. Obviously having a common adventuring background would make things easier, but I'm up for a meet-and-greet if you want that. I can also provide an NPC to fill in any party gaps if need be.

DwarfLover - You might want to consider the feats Shield Specialization and Shield Ward in the PHBII. Those seem to be the kind of defensive feats you were after.

Clonz

First Post
Das Cleric

I will be playing a halfling cleric of Ehlonna, still figuring out his feats. I'm just trying to keep with the short-legged slow theme here. As for myself, I would like to have known each other before, if the others are for it. Anyway, I'll put what I have in the rogue's gallery and finish it asap. On spells, how do you handle switching out which spells I have for the day, if say I decide to swap two first level spells for the following day, do I update the character sheet or you?

Last edited:

DwarfLover

First Post
I'm almost done, just 2 feats left and maybe a paragraph of background to go. He will be done this weekend for sure.

Pretty standard dwarven fighter. The only twist is his fighting style being defensive, low charsima (even for a dwarf) and exceptional endurance/toughness.

Feldegast

First Post
Getting Ready

I should be done with my character this weekend as well. I would prefer we knew each other before hand.

:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1:
Like the lottery, only different...

DwarfLover

First Post
My character is up in all his glory.

Holly, would you like to check out the agile shield fighter feat in the phbII, I'm not sure I am applying correctly to my attack bonus. I just took what the bab was for both weapons and subtracted 2 , thats what the feats says, but it seems a little too good.

Remove ads