D&D 5E Tavern Brawler, the Druid, and me

Herobizkit

Adventurer
PREAMBLE: I realize this is not optimal; I am building for fun over utility.

I am soon playing a Half-Drow Sea Druid. Sailor background, grew up on ships and the like. I plan on playing her as the Team Mom. As such, she often got into, well, brawls with her fellow crewmates at taverns, sometime even dragging a few crew members home by force. Later in my career, I'm going to go the Circle that gives the swank monster shifting abilities.

Based on your experiences with Druids in general, about where should my STR, DEX and CON sit to be a decent grappler who doesn't get slaughtered?

Note that my DM also favors high story over raw combat, so there will be ample opportunity for shenanigans with improvised weapons and the like.

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
For flavor and fun:using the array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
Half-Elf +2 CHA, +1 DEX, +1 WIS
Str 14, 13 required for grapple feat
Dex 14(13+1) you are a sailor and dex based checks are your forte, you'ved earned your sea legs if you will
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 16 (15+1)
Cha 10(8+2)

on the bad side: +1 CON, not the greatest for in your face combat, still not bad
on the plus side: Moon Druid, Brown bear at 2nd level, STR 19, a creature which can utilize your grappling feature, though working this into your background for flavor would be interesting (likewise, not much choice when it comes to aquatic beasts unfortunately)

Radaceus

Adventurer
Also, are you intending to take Tavern Brawler, and just grapple... or later take Grappler?

I suppose in the sense of just taking Tavern Brawler at 4th level,

Str 14 (13+1 from feat),
Dex 15(14+1) you are a sailor and dex based checks are your forte, you'ved earned your sea legs if you will
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 16 (15+1)
Cha 10(8+2)

and to further consider your Team Mom

Str 14 (13+1 from feat),
Dex 15(14+1) you are a sailor and dex based checks are your forte, you'ved earned your sea legs if you will
Con 12
Int 8
Wis 16 (15+1)
Cha 12(10+2)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
No, I doubt I will take Grappler. I should also note that I'm receiving Tavern Brawler at level 1, as our DM has opted that everyone gets a 1st level feat (and therefore Humans get two). I should also note that the DM is using the "slow recovery time" alt rules, meaning I can only shift twice per DAY (as short rest = 1 day, long =1 week).

I should further note that our game is oly scheduled to get to level 10.

I would have thought most would have suggested my Str as high as possible for that Athletics check and punching damage.

Remove ads