• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDragon

Explorer
Sebastian turns from his seat at the bar, looking at the dusty gentlemen that has just entered,

"Good day Tristan Agencourt, I'm Sebastian Slingfellow. I hope you are not too thirsty as Joe and his help seem to be moving a bit slow today. It seems like it was hours ago that I ordered an ale."

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
"Don't mind at all," Telerin nodded polietly, his hand grabbing the scruff of the wolf's neck. Whitefang liked new smells, and he was always curious to explore them...He smiled and glanced at the wolf, "He won't hurt...but he's a bit...curious with new people and smells."
He then glanced up towards the bar at the woman who had been signing, "Got anymore songs like that?"

Katherine sat motionless for a minute then seemed to become aware of Telerin's words. "I'm terribly sorry, did it seem to anyone else like the universe just went away for a moment there?" She gave a joking laugh and tossed her black hair back out of the way of her papers and inks. "I have to remember not to breath in when opening a new bottle of green... Singing is more of a hobby and tales my trade, but perhaps..." She took a careful look at the man and his wolf. "Tell me if you recognize this one?"

She first sang a few words under her breath and a bit of subtle illusion surrounded her, giving the impression of rustling leaves, perhaps the smell of forest loam. To most of the onlookers, the words she sang next were foriegn, a bit like elven, but indefinably matching the mood of the forest and the wolf she seemed to be most directly serenading. To those few who knew the sylvan language of the forest fey, she was a wolf telling the tale of her first real hunt, of proving herself alone against a mighty buck, and the joy of being a true member of the pack.

JDragon

Explorer
As Sebastian looks up from the bar, with a bit of a dazed look, "I'm not sure my lady, either that or I fell asleep again."

"Maybe some other work will become avaliable soon."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
JDragon said:
As Sebastian looks up from the bar, with a bit of a dazed look, "I'm not sure my lady, either that or I fell asleep again."

"Maybe some other work will become avaliable soon."

Katherine set pen to ink and sketched out something on the sheet of parchment in front of her.

"And what kind of work do you do, Mr Slingfellow? Tell me your perfect employment and the perfect payment for doing it. And of course, why you are the perfect man for the job." She flashed up a smile. "I was told I could find the best of tales here at the Red Dragon, not to mention the chance to live some myself..."

JDragon

Explorer
Sebastian stands and strolls over to seat a bit closer to the lady as to not advertise their conversation to the whole bar.

“Well my lady, I’m not sure how great a tale it will be, but I’ll do my best to answer your questions.”

“ My trade is one of getting to things that are difficult to get too. Especially when it requires climbing or feats of balance and do to my nimble fingers locks do not concern me very much. The perfect job, now that is a difficult question. I don’t think I have seen enough of the world, or even heard enough tales to make that determination. As for me being the perfect man, who really knows.”

“And your self, what would be a perfect job for you?”

Kahuna Burger said:
She first sang a few words under her breath and a bit of subtle illusion surrounded her, giving the impression of rustling leaves, perhaps the smell of forest loam. To most of the onlookers, the words she sang next were foriegn, a bit like elven, but indefinably matching the mood of the forest and the wolf she seemed to be most directly serenading. To those few who knew the sylvan language of the forest fey, she was a wolf telling the tale of her first real hunt, of proving herself alone against a mighty buck, and the joy of being a true member of the pack.

"A wonderful song," Telerin said with a smile on his face. Whitefang was watching the woman, though his head was still resting on Aranel's leg.

Seeing that it was such a rush to catch up with the other group, he called over to Silver Cat, "Worry not of us. We would probably slow you down. I know, myself, that I am not prepared to leave quickly. It would not do well for just two of us to hold you back. Good luck on your journey."

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
JDragon said:
Sebastian stands and strolls over to seat a bit closer to the lady as to not advertise their conversation to the whole bar.

As he sits, he notices that Katherine's parchment has a rough drawing of the bar from where she sits, with notes in various areas. The notes are written in a strange alphebet.

“Well my lady, I’m not sure how great a tale it will be, but I’ll do my best to answer your questions.”

“ My trade is one of getting to things that are difficult to get too. Especially when it requires climbing or feats of balance and do to my nimble fingers locks do not concern me very much. The perfect job, now that is a difficult question. I don’t think I have seen enough of the world, or even heard enough tales to make that determination. As for me being the perfect man, who really knows.”

“And your self, what would be a perfect job for you?”

"Well, our skills may end up complementing each other. While you are good at getting things, I like to find them in the first place. Things or knowlege that have been lost or stolen or merely well hidden that someone would now like found. I'd like to sit in an inn much like this one and have people come to me and say 'I want to find something.' And whether it was an ancient crown which proved their royalty, or a loyal hound that had wandered off on a likely scent, or the true knowlege of their betrothed's lineage, I would ask the right people, and read the right books, or someday perhaps wiggle my fingers," She laughed as the parlor magic still surrounding her sparked faintly, "And I would find it for them. Wouldn't that be nice?"

Kahuna Burger

First Post
(ooc) this is a bit premature sicne I don't have a judge or official aproval for this adventure, but gosh darn it I have the day with full computer access and this place is dead. (/ooc)

Is there such a thing as an anti-swagger? A way of moving which proclaims – or rather perhaps mumbles – that this person is not of any consequence, don’t mind me, I’ll be out of your way shortly? If there is such a posture, the middle-aged elf who stepped into the Red Dragon Inn was a master of it. It wasn’t sneakiness, or the false humility of a powerful man keeping a low profile, but the sincere out of place deference of a courtier wandering among heroes. Even Joe at the bar could not bring himself to scowl at the stranger’s lack of introduction, recognizing that the man was here to place a job, not look for one.

After a question to one of the servers and a quiet discussion with Joe, the elf sought Katherine at her well lit table in the corner, singing quietly as always while she scribed. A few coins changed hands and the expensive paper came out. At one point the elf laughed out loud, and then pressed an additional small coin into Katherine’s hand as he took his still drying advertisement to the bulletin board. He leaned over to place the paper down low, carefully judging a height three and a half feet off the ground. As he stepped away, the reason became obvious – the top half of the paper was filled with block lettering large enough to be read anywhere in the bar:
You Must Be At Least
THIS SHORT
To Apply For This Job

The elf left quickly with a nod to Katherine. When read at closer range, the bottom of the advertisement held more concrete details.

“Halfling/gnome team needed to hunt dangerous vermin under the castle in Earling. 20 gold pieces, plus one silver per tail/stinger. See the scribe Katherine for details.” A deadline is listed only 5 days hence.

JDragon

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
...Snip... As he stepped away, the reason became obvious – the top half of the paper was filled with block lettering large enough to be read anywhere in the bar:
You Must Be At Least
THIS SHORT
To Apply For This Job

The elf left quickly with a nod to Katherine. When read at closer range, the bottom of the advertisement held more concrete details.

“Halfling/gnome team needed to hunt dangerous vermin under the castle in Earling. 20 gold pieces, plus one silver per tail/stinger. See the scribe Katherine for details.” A deadline is listed only 5 days hence.

Having watched Katherine scribe out the post for the gentleman, Sebastian has no need to stand and read the smaller text of the post, but does turn to watch him place the post on the board.

"Well it looks like I don't meet even the basic requirements for this job, maybe the next one."

Turning back to Katherine, "At least you were able to secure a few coin for your troubles."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
JDragon said:
"Well it looks like I don't meet even the basic requirements for this job, maybe the next one."

Turning back to Katherine, "At least you were able to secure a few coin for your troubles."

Katherine laughed merrily.

"Yes, though it was as much fun as trouble. Its too bad I don't fit the requirements either... not that either of us could make it to Earling on time. There's a bit of excessive serindipity to the people recruited and the location..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads