Tavern name riddle help

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
A tavern name in a city can be an unreliable clue, since such businesses can change ownership, and change their name in the process.

Maybe when the map pieces are assembled, it triggers a Magic Mouth spell that verbally tells them the name of the establishment, and tells them to seek "the building marked with an X". When they get to the tavern, it consists of a main building which is the drinking establishment, plus a connected side building used for meetings and clubs. The side building is clearly labelled "Annexe".

I do love this idea and may well run with the magic mouth, I do however want the clue to be unreliable, I plan on having the tavern no longer exist by the name given, I want to use it as a driver for the players to get involved in exploring the town, both in terms of history and it's NPC's I'm hoping it will serve as a good way to get them familiar with a place that will form a big part of the adventure is set

Nytmare

David Jose
It doesn't translate directly, but in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, information about the location of the buried treasure is split between three people. All three people know that the money is hidden in a grave. The first person knows what cemetery the grave can be found in, the second knows the name on the grave marker is "Arch Stanton", the third knows that the money is actually buried in the unmarked grave right next to it.

Make it so that any one piece can get them close, but not even two pieces guarantees that they'll get to it safely. One portion of the map tells them what city to look in, the second section of the map tells them where in the city to look, the third part tells them how to get past the guardians or traps.

wrongplace.gif

MarkB

Legend
I do love this idea and may well run with the magic mouth, I do however want the clue to be unreliable, I plan on having the tavern no longer exist by the name given, I want to use it as a driver for the players to get involved in exploring the town, both in terms of history and it's NPC's I'm hoping it will serve as a good way to get them familiar with a place that will form a big part of the adventure is set
It's probably too well-known to work for this, but the tavern in the Discworld novels is a good example of both a name that can be an answer to a riddle and one that gets changed under new management.

Its original name is "The Broken Drum", the joke (or riddle) being that you can't beat it.

But after its owner burns it (and, inadvertently, himself) down in an attempted insurance fraud, it is later rebuilt and reopened under new management, and renamed "The Mended Drum".

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
I might be temped to use simple riddles like these and then turn the answers into town squares or monuments like Candle Square or Clock Tower. Except, make four of them and have the intersecting lines on the map mark the X for the inn you want them to find.

Remove ads