[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
"Actually," the flame haired woman begins, "I still end up spending most of my time in my rather mundane job as a guard. I've had a couple little escapades, one lasted barely an hour and the other a total of about one day. I'm still debating whether or not to make this 'adventure' thing my full time job. I haven't really been forced into a decision…

"For her part," Charity continues, settling into her barstool in a relaxed way, "My elder sister has been reserved but supportive on the matter. I think she'd rather I just keep working at the temple, but I keep getting the feeling I should be doing something else. Or something like that. My own feeling are a little mixed on that."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago seems surprised. "Do you not take guidance from Cortessa on such matters?" He blurts. Then looks abashed. "Forgive me, I meant no disrespect," he clarifies. "I meant only that it seems odd for someone to devote themselves to a goddess and not receive...direction."

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
"Cortesia," the flame haired woman corrects with a practiced ease. "In any case, the Goddess hasn't given me any particular clear message on how to approach my life. She seems to be a considerable part of it--I was named by a priest after communion with the goddess," Charity rolls her eyes on that part, "and I virtually grew up in the church after my parents disappeared. I received all sorts of religious education, including a rather useful class on how to use divine wands, which I put to use for the first time just recently. And I work at the church as a guard, standing second rank behind the more seasoned fighters.

"But the relationship a bit stranger than that," Charity lowers her voice. "Sometimes, when I'm quiet and still, I can feel that something's off about some people, and I find those people often prove to be untrustworthy or downright hurtful of others. Also, on this last job, I didn't even realize it at first, but when I bandaged my friends' wounds, by the time I was done the flesh underneath was substantially healed. I attribute both these things to The Bright Lady. However, when it comes to guidance, I am left to interpret subtle nudges and feelings, which isn't easy."

Taking a sip for her beer again, Charity concludes, "I wish there was a good answer to your question, it's one I ask myself."

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
With Grog sliding another mead Iago's way, Charity agrees with his premise, "Yes, it would certainly seem that way for me, as well. I'm not sure how many really do understand the gods… probably fewer than the number of people that say they do. I just do my best and hope it is pleasing to The Bright Lady. So far," she chuckles, "no bolts of lightning."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago laughs drily. "Yes, a great many people claim to understand the gods," he observes. "Perhaps that explains why there is so much lightning in the world."

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
Chuckling politely at Iago's observation, Charity sets down her mug and looks up at the ceiling. "At least lightning has the merit of being obvious," she muses.

After a moment or two, the young venzan sighs. "I still have to think gear again. Robert has already settled on something." She looks at Iago seriously, "Even though you're helping me avoid doing that, thank you. I hadn't realized how much I needed to unwind after that last jaunt in the field."

Lindeloef

First Post
"If it was only fields... we had to go through the sewers and talk to a crispy burned man. Thank the gods, that the smell came off the clothes." Robert chimes in.

mfloyd3

Explorer
"The sewers?" asks Iago. "It never occurred to me to seek adventure there. My own work has always been many days' journey from Venza. I could have saved myself a trip at the cost of some laundry," he jokes.

Lindeloef

First Post
"Wasn't much adventuring going on down there. Mostly talking to a pissed-off dude. I mean I can understand why he was pissed-off, he looked like beef jerky. How fitting, he was also a jerk."

Remove ads