D&D 5E TCOE: Is reskinning your origin allowed by RAW?

Does origin customization RAW let you reskin existing races (keeping stats the same)?

• Poll closed .

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So, there are two issues relevant to this.

1. You are making a custom origin. Therefor, it is what you say it is. A small elf with horns and a tail, or a slender dragonperson with darkvision and no breath weapon, or a runt goliath, whatever, it's fine. The thematics are up to you, and to a lesser extent (ie mostly via veto power), your DM.

2. You are literally taking an earth genasi, changing nothing, and calling it a dwarf blessed by the stone. Firstly, that's baller as hell and a DM that doesn't allow it is a rube. Second, I don't think it's strictly RAW, but it's also well within the spirit of what the TCOE rules suggest.
I'm not actually referring to using the Custom Lineage option. I'm talking about the "you can move your stat bonuses around" type rules. For the former, I totally agree you can set whatever flavor you like. If you ARE keeping all the non-ability-score stuff, though, that's where my question lies.

The second point is pretty much the answer I was expecting (and pretty much the answer I've gotten from the thread), I just thought it was interesting that the rules are oddly silent on this subject. By comparison, 4e was pretty forward with the "no ABSOLUTELY reskin your race as whatever you feel like. DMs, maybe consider allowing a damage type change for things if it makes sense and isn't abusive," and 3.x...properly speaking it would usually be contradictory to RAW but most DMs would allow it.

Remove ads