• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teflon Billy's post-ENnie Haiku Contest. WIN TONS OF D20 STUFF

Agnostic Paladin

First Post
Assuming you mean the first line, it would depend on how you say fire - most people seem to say it as a single syllable, and that is how the dictionary lists it. I can see how it could be considered to be two though...

Teflon Billy said:
First place goes to none other than Umbragia's own KDLadage. On this the judges were unanimous. It had it all: cleverness of wordplay, D&D content, and a great twist ending on an old proverb.

Opportunity:
without combat reflexes,
knocks but once per round

I, too, attempted
Word-play on just this concept:
"Opportunity".

A D&D rule
That hardly anyone groks,
Five syllables long.

KDLadage's
Haiku is superior.
Bow to his talents.

tarchon

First Post
Agnostic Paladin said:
Assuming you mean the first line, it would depend on how you say fire - most people seem to say it as a single syllable, and that is how the dictionary lists it. I can see how it could be considered to be two though...

Depends on your dialect really, same with dire. Ask yourself if dire sounds the same as dyer (a person who dyes things, which is usually listed as 2 syllables), and you'll know the answer. In my dialect, they do indeed, but it would be totally different in, say, parts of Kentucky (where "far" and "fire" are often very close). The key difference in most cases is in how strongly long-I is diphthongized; there's really a continuum.

Or compare hire and higher, sire and sigher. It's fairly well known contrast (or lack thereof) in English dialectology.

Remove ads