• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation / Fey Step in three dimensions

Runestar

First Post
In 3e, there was indeed an interesting combination where a large creature with the obesity deformity feat (to increase his weight) used shadow jaunt to teleport 50ft into the air above his foes and dropped right down, dealing tons of falling damage to his enemies. My party never saw that one coming.:lol:

In 4e, fey step lets you teleport up to 5 squares. What are the rules for damage done by falling objects, if my eladrin then proceeds to drop right on top of the foe he teleported on top of?

Runestar, I think that the damage to the target should be based on the 'stunt' table in the DMG, not on the falling damage table. Personally I would use the smaller damage column and have the Eladrin end up prone in a random space next to the target... as well as take falling damage themselves. This would be a stunt that uses both a move action and a standard action.

Yes, its an encounter power and an interesting trick...but not something I want a character to base thier combat tactics around. Falling on your enemy should never, IMO, be a better option than hitting them with a sword.

Dalzig

First Post
Yes, its an encounter power and an interesting trick...but not something I want a character to base thier combat tactics around. Falling on your enemy should never, IMO, be a better option than hitting them with a sword.

Ditto. Unless you're Kirby or Tanuki Mario... but then we have other problems.

On a slight side tangent, what do people think of offensive teleports being able to go straight up. For example, Will of the Feywild (Feytouched 11). "Blah blah, hit for damage and teleport 5 squares... blah." Should you be allowed to teleport them vertically to basically tack on another 2d10 damage?

Afaik, nothing expressly denies it... just.... seems wrong I guess.

Dalzig, I see the 'death from above' stunt as a skill stunt that requires a standard action after the teleport.

In the case of an offensive teleport, unless the player spends an action point to take the standard action of the skill stunt, teleporting straight up will simply result in the character falling down {and taking damage}

RefinedBean

First Post
On a slight side tangent, what do people think of offensive teleports being able to go straight up. For example, Will of the Feywild (Feytouched 11). "Blah blah, hit for damage and teleport 5 squares... blah." Should you be allowed to teleport them vertically to basically tack on another 2d10 damage?

Afaik, nothing expressly denies it... just.... seems wrong I guess.

Yeah, that opens up a huge can of worms, because according to RAW, the Push, Pull, and Slide effects say nothing about this. You can push, slide, and even pull a creature up into the air all you want, so long as you follow the rules of it moving away/closer.

Which seems cool, even cinematic, until monsters start doing it to PCs, and suddenly a whole bunch of d10s (d10 for falling damage) are being rolled each round!

So I'd adjudicate that an offensive teleport (haven't seen any, but hey, I'm sure there's at least one) can do this, but a push/pull/slide should remain 2D unless there's a VERY good reason to go 3D.

Zelc

First Post
How about this:

If the teleport or forced move affects a willing target, you can move the target vertically. If it affects an unwilling target, you can move the target vertically only if it has a movement mode that can move it vertically. For instance, if the target has a climb speed, you can move it vertically along the plane of the wall, even over the opening of a cave in that wall.

RefinedBean

First Post
Oh, well, I suppose there is that. Thanks Mort. ;)

Although then why do close blast powers affect all flying creatures (according to cust-serv)? Do you have to move flying creatures on a level plane in regards to their position?

Crazy.

Remove ads