• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Earthdawn 3E!

So, I am only peripherally aware of Earthdawn, having played a single, short session of an older edition a few years ago. I know about its unique dice system and the idea of circles and everyone using basically magic to achieve their thing, even "martial" type of heroes.

So, there is a 3E out these days. What's new about it? How have the rules changed? What's the world like? What adventures are available? What would you recommend for starting a game with the new edition?

RedBrick Limited - Earth Dawn

There are also plans for a D&D 4E / GSL variant, but not much seems to have happened (at least in public): RedBrick Limited - Age of Legends
Any news there?

Obryn

Hero
My reply got eated.

Anyway, I love Earthdawn, and had no idea a 3rd edition was even released. Amazon has a very good price on the two core books, and I might go ahead and place an order... Hmmm...

I found this, as far as mechanics go, on the Wikipedia page...

The 3rd edition changes this drastically. Steps 6 through 12 (as listed above) form the basis of a 7-step cycle. To add 7 steps from then on, simply add 1d12. No d4s and no d20s are used. Step 3 is now 1d6 - 1, step 2 is 1d6 - 2, and step 1 is 1d6 - 3.
This is good, actually. Very good.

-O

Obryn

Hero
I went ahead and ordered the Players' Book. I couldn't resist at $26. I'll let you know what I find out. :) It doesn't look like any adventures as of yet. In theory, there are conversion guides to make it easy. I still have several 1e Earthdawn adventures, which range in quality from kinda iffy to pretty sweet.

If it's high-quality, the GM's book will follow! It's just expensive enough to qualify for super saver shipping in and of itself. (FYI, to anyone interested, Amazon is selling the hardcopy for about the same price as the PDF on DTRPG...)

As far as the game itself goes, I found an RPGnet post which basically sold me on the edition switch. My main problems with the system were how restricted characters were, and how insane the Karma system was for perfectly good character races. (Trolls having d4 Karma made them way worse in practice than Orks with d8 karma. It actually made a kind of enormous difference in play. Windlings with d10 karma were the worst - as spellcasters, they were already unequalled, unbalanced attributes or no.) It looks like both of these are solved - Karma is now universally a d6 and costs the same for all races. (But races have different maximum pool sizes, still.) Also, there are now "talent pools" to open up options for characters, making them much less linear. Along with the bell curve fixes on the updated Step chart, I'm pretty satisfied they did enough of a re-write to fix the most broken stuff. I'll find out before long, though...

-O

Kcinlive

Explorer
First let me apologize for the Wall o' Text. I got a little carried away...

I've been an ED fan for a couple years now. It's a quite good game/system. There's bit of a learning curve for new players. The step system that they use for the dice rolls can be confusing. It can also be annoying to have to look up what dice you need to roll on a chart. But once you get past that it's actually a really neat mechanic in my opinion.

As for what's new with 3rd Edition. They streamlined a lot of the rules, fixed various problems that had cropped up in the system, etc. That sort of thing. They also changed the way the classes work in the game. They give the player more choice in what talents to take and basically what direction to take their discipline in. Every circle(level) the character gets 1 discipline talent that's fixed based on your class, and 1 non-discipline talent that can be picked from a list. So the core disciplines remain the same, but there's more variety in the classes. For example you might have a Swordmaster who focuses on the more social aspects of their class and thus takes the more social talents. While you have another Swordmaster who will focus on the more martial aspects taking the more martial talents. They're both Swordmasters, they just have a different focus.

The world is identical to the world in the previous editions. They moved the timeline forward a little bit to bring it up to the end of the original first edition novels and adventures. The basic story for the game is that it takes place on Earth 30,000ish years ago during the last time of High Magic. It's the same world as Shadowrun. So the levels of magic in the world follow a cycle of highs and lows. While the level of magic in Shadowrun is just starting to rise again, the level of magic in Earthdawn is just past the peak. The problem is when the levels of magic in the world get so high, it allows alien entities called Horrors to enter the world. Horrors are immensely powerful beings that feed off of pain, suffering, and fear. The only way the people of Earthdawn were able to survive this time, called the Scourge, was to wall themselves of with Earth and Magic in massive city size bunkers called Kaers. They lived in these Kaers for several hundred years while everyone that was stuck outside was tortured and killed, or worse. Eventually the magic levels went down, the Kaers opened and the people went out to repopulate the world and deal with the aftermath. Of course the levels of magic in the world are still pretty high. So there are still may Horrors left in the world. Though not so many as to make the world unlivable. May of the Horrors also left things behind to cause more pain and suffering even after they've left.

The game takes place mainly in the Provence of Barsaive. Though there are plans to release a book on Cathey detailing the goings on in what is now China and japan.

Barsaive was a provence of the Theran Empire(Think Rome with Magic, or Atlantis). Though the Therans would say that it still is a Provence. Much of the conflict in Barsaive is between the various kingdoms and city-states of Barsaive vs the Theran Empire. There's already been one war fought, which Barsaive won, but it's likely only a matter of time before another war begins.

Most of the "standard" fantasy races are there: humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, trolls. There are also a few "non-standard" races: Windlings, short winged humanoids, T'skrang, "lizardmen", though "dinosaurmen" would be more appropriate, and Obsidiman, rocklike humanoids born from living stone.

To start playing the new edition you'd probably want the player's guide and the gamemaster's guide. There's also two companion books, the player's companion and a gamemaster's companion. To get started you should only need the two guides. The companions deal with more advanced rules and expand the game. The next book that is coming out is I believe the Kratis book. It's a setting book detailing Kratis, the city of thieves in Barsaive.

That's all that's been release for the 3rd edition of the game so far. But there are the previous edition books too. While the exact rules have changed they can still be used as a reference. The adventures in particular can probably be used with relatively little reworking. Luckily since RedBrick is now working with a Mongoose, they should be releasing new books every at a relevantly good pace. *crosses fingers*

If you're looking for more information I'd suggest taking a look the the Earthdawn page on Wikipedia if you just want a summary of the game, Earthdawn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Earthdawn page and forums on the Redbrick site, RedBrick Limited • Raising Your Game

There are also several good posts on the rpg.net forums that are probably a lot better then what I have here. :]

-Kcinlive

I am considering to pick it up anyway. Doesn't hurt to broaden the horizon, and some of the players in my campaign are familar with Earthdawn. Maybe if I lend them the books, they jump on it? Particularly one DM might be interested in such a thing, since he has been jumping systems a lot lately.

Obryn

Hero
Well, it's a very 90's-era RPG.

It does an awesome job of making a D&D setting make sense... Like so many of the best 90's games, the world and the system are tightly intertwined - it'd be difficult to use one without the other. The mechanics are actually fun in and of themselves ... exploding dice + varying dice sizes makes for entertaining play, IMO.

Also, in the vein of 90's games, most of the supplements are 90% fluff, 10% crunch. Several supplements were literally nothing more than overpriced collections of short stories. :) It can be forgiven, though, because FASA was basically the king of making good gaming fluff back then. So I wouldn't worry much about compatibility - I'd say, without knowing the new rules at all, that the old supplements are completely relevant.

I'm looking forward to this book more than I thought I would. I still have my Earthdawn books in my secondary gaming shelves (along with my 3.5 stuff, and a few other good games I'm not currently playing) despite not having played it in 10 years.

-O

ggroy

First Post
There are also plans for a D&D 4E / GSL variant, but not much seems to have happened (at least in public): RedBrick Limited - Age of Legends

If the third edition Earthdawn books have a good reception with half decent sales, I suspect the producers may put more of their development effort and time into writing supplement books for the third edition, while the 4E D&D / GSL version may possibly be put on the backburner. This may possibly be the case if the 3PP 4E market doesn't get much better, or goes into a freefall (ie. the recent case One Bad Egg closing down).

From playing an earlier edition of Earthdawn several years ago, I would prefer the mechanics to be similar to the earlier editions, than a version which attempts to "shoehorn" it into the 4E D&D ruleset.

Imaro

Legend
Earthdawn is definitely my preferred fantasy game above nearly all others. Funny thing is that I had a complete collection of 1st edition books that got destroyed when my parent's basement flooded. Since then I've wanted to get back into Earthdawn but the whole Redbrick/LRG thing and Redbrick only being Lulu PoD kinda turned me off.

However I was pretty excited when I learned about them partnering up with Mongoose and getting a new edition out. My two corebooks just came a few days ago, and while I haven't had a chance to sit down and read them... I can answer any questions people might have about them...

Obryn

Hero
Sorry for the necro-thread. :) I got the book tonight - I had to hold off due to a combination of vet bills, car trouble, and sundry expenses related to having a baby soon.

Anyway, I've paged through it, and my first impressions are...

(1) WTF? The spine is upside down. It's messing with my head.

(2) Tons of reprinted material - which is fine, because Inheritance is a seriousy cool story.

(3) The printing is too dark, sadly. The book is b&w on ... well, you know the kind of shiny full-color paper most gaming books are printed on? It's not that - it's the other kind. The B&W printing makes the pages' headers, footers, and shading a bit tough on the eyes.

(4) Ruleswise, I need to dig in, but so far I like it a lot. :) Because I know Earthdawn pretty well, I'll have to carefully read it to be sure - but I love, for starters, that the Step table uses d6, d8, d10, and d12. No d20's or d4's!

I'll post more as I learn more, but I also got the DMG2, so....

-O

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Earthdawn is one of those games I'd love to play, but hate to GM. Which is pretty much how I feel about anything FASA has had a hand in. :p

I was never a huge fan of the magic-heavy nature of the world, and it bugged me that my human fighter had to go through a magical ritual every day or two to get his "luck points" back. I understand why they did it; it just didn't mesh with the type of fantasy I like.

Of course, I also thought Obsidians and Windlings were pretty cool.

A while back, I converted a few Earthdawn races to the d6 system on my gaming blog (which I've kind of ignored, mostly because of a writer's block and real life). And I've always been a fan of how FASA produced supplements.

Remove ads