Tell me about New Mexico

Number47

First Post
Well, my wife got offered a job teaching in Farmington, NM (the four corners area). So it looks like I'll be moving across the country yet again. Are there any New Mexites here? What can you tell me about game stores, groups and recreation in the area?

For now, the information will be for my wife. She'll be moving down within a couple weeks. I'm going to keep working my job here in Michigan, saving up money and joining her during her winter break. If there are any friendly games there, I'm sure she would love to get in. That way, she can help prepare the group for my coming. Bwa-ha-ha.

Thanks, everyone.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Oh man, are you in for a treat. I remember driving across the northern part of New Mexico on vacation, and there was a span of drive through the Painted Desert where the radio's "seek" button made a continuous loop around the entire frequency and didn't find a single station. I was like "Dad, can we play a tape instead?"

On the AM dial, there was like 1 station of some guy reading off the news in Spanish. That was pretty much it. And he sounded like he was in his basement.

There is *absolutely* nothing in that area. At least, from what I recall. There are little towns here and there, and long drives from one to the other.

Have fun! ;)

Zogg

First Post
Well, I don't live in NM or anything, but I've been through several times and actually went on a hiking trip at Philmont Scout Ranch when I was in Boy Scouts (over 10 years ago - yikes!!). It was near Cimarron and I have to say I loved the area....I would think compared to Detroit you will be welcomed by much cleaner air, safer cities and generally warmer weather. I have no clue what the gaming community is like there, though, so good luck.

Emerald

First Post
I can not say much about Farmington, only driven through a couple of time but as for New Mexico in general ask away. I am a native New Mexican, born and raised in Albuqueruqe. The state is beautiful. Full of mountains and deserts. It is quite a remarkable place. We do have a large hispanic population especial in the north, so there are lots and lots of spanish radio stations, and TV for that matter, and that would explain the presence of that particular station. What exactly are you wanting to know? I love it here and would be hard pressed to move. There is camping, hiking, mountian biking, etc. in the summer and Skiing, snowboarding, etc. in the winter. It into the lower 100's in the summer (that is past for the year, we are now hitting 90-95 on a regular basis) and gets into the teens in the winter with snow in the higher elevations. I found my gaming group through my church (go figure) and I am in the largest city, so I do not know how it would go elsewhere. We have one FLGS in town, that I am aware of. Any thing else I can answer for you?

Number47

First Post
There's one important question you can sure answer. How long of a drive from Farmington to Albuquerque? Along that line, any real nice game stores there?

You know, this is going to be very weird. I have never in my life not lived near a major interstate. My dogs will love it, I'm sure.

What can you tell me about property values?

Last edited:

boschdevil

First Post
The weather and scenery in New Mexico is fabulous. I lived there (in Albuquerque) for 4 years and loved it. In fact, I started gaming at a store called Wargames West there in Albuquerque. However, last time I was there (about a month ago), I called the telephone number which they had in the book, but it was disconnected. :(

If my memory serves me correctly, the drive to Farmington should be around 3 hours one way. However, I could be wrong.

As for property values, in Albuquerque, the values have skyrocketed. It seems that everyone wants to retire in the Southwest, and New Mexico is no different. The only bad thing about New Mexico is that there are very few jobs. That's the only reason why I don't live there right now.

Aeolius

Adventurer
The last time I went to New Mexico, to visit my mother, they had to call an ambulance for me. Apparently my body does NOT like high altitudes. ;)

I see my mother when she visits her sons (3 of us in North Carolina), but I will not go back there.

BSF

Explorer
Farmington is a few hours from Albuquerque. I have no idea what the gaming scene might be like up there. Excellent fishing, nice scenery, hiking etc. It is also close to the Colorado border. Durango for a nice little getaway. Nice outdor activity area. Actually, that is what I like New Mexico for. Outdoor activities! And of course, I have my gaming. If there isn't much in Farmington as far as gaming goes, you are probably going to be in for quite a drive to anywhere else. :(

Wargames West was a great store for several years. The owners were fairly knowledgable, etc. They did quite a bit in mail-order and distribution. Eventually, the moved into distribution only and they finally closed last year.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
Maybe it's just because I grew up there, but I'm not so fond of Albuquerque. Back in the day, there used to be a few gaming stores that I frequented, so it's not devoid of gaming material. I don't know if you've spent a summer in that area, but imagnie a hot day, you open your car, and that wave of dry heat hits, the type that sucks the moisture straight from your eyeballs. That's the NM climate. Scenery is brown for the most part, rocks, hills, trees, grass, it's all brown.

It may or may not be an issue, but in the area I was in, education really sucked, though they were suping up the local library, and the downtown area was getting some funding.

To me, NM is the "Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." The key is to go out. Enjoy the sights, enjoy the outdoors. That's what NM has very well. If you don't get trapped in looking for everything in the city, you can have a wonderful time.

Doppleganger

First Post
I had relatives who lived in Taos for a few years. Beautiful place and there's great skiing.

Chances are pretty slim that you'll find a huge gaming scene in Farmington (if any), but you never know.... Surprisingly, there are pockets of avid gamers to be found almost everywhere; the trick will be in rooting them out.

I can say this much though, you'll be living within a couple hours of the most awe-inspiring and wondrous zone of the planet; notably Lake Powell (better than the Grand Canyon and all the other famous regional landmarks). Sell your socks or do whatever it takes to rent a powerboat for a week or so and go exploring & camping around the lake's maze-like canyons, giant rock-arches, water caves, thousand year old ruins, and towering cliffs around the lake's edge. You could spend your whole life exploring it's vastness and never cease to be shocked and amazed at what new wonders you discover there each day.

Remove ads