• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about New Mexico

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Number47 said:

What can you tell me about property values?

The web is your friend!

Here's the link to the local Century 21. Looks like 90% of the houses are under $120,000, and pretty good houses at that. Makes me jealous.

I'm sure if you do a little hunting on Yahoo or Google, you'll find a description of the community. For instance, the Farmington Visitors Bureau (http://www.farmingtonnm.org/) or the official site of the City of Farmington (http://www.fmtn.org/).

Using Google, I see that D&D Meetup has at least one player in Farmington.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

I'd leave Detroit for Farmington any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Farmington is a decent sized town, and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. The Durango-Silverton railroad is right there too...

Ashy

First Post
Is Rio Rancho far from Farmington? One of my best buds and his wife are moving out to Rio Rancho AS WE SPEAK - he's a great gamer, one of the best - he's played in all my Planescape games, etc... :)

Perhaps I can hook you two up, if the drive is not intolerable...

Zogg

First Post
Ashy said:
Is Rio Rancho far from Farmington? One of my best buds and his wife are moving out to Rio Rancho AS WE SPEAK - he's a great gamer, one of the best - he's played in all my Planescape games, etc... :)

Perhaps I can hook you two up, if the drive is not intolerable...

Rio Rancho is just north of Albuquerque (I hate typing that city name!)

According to mapquest, distance apart is 171 miles = 4 hours, 8 minutes.

Of course, I could do that drive under 3 hours easily. But for gaming? Mmmmmmm...doubtful. There appears to be a lovely city named "La Jara" that is equidistant from both cities, however.

I also didn't realize how close Farmington is to Durango, though. Durango is a PHAT city - I would be visiting it all the time.

tarchon

First Post
I've always been well impressed by it. I have a friend who had one of those teaching jobs in the NM boondocks, east of Gallup, for a while, and I visted him there once. He had planned on learning Navajo (calling them "Dine" instead could make you some friends, BTW) but I don't think that ever worked out. Chaco Canyon and Los Alamos are reasonably close sights of interest, just make sure to keep your dwelling rodent-free.

Macbeth

First Post
I'm from southern NM (Las Cruces soon to move to Socorro), so i can't say much about the north, but finding a game in Farmington could be hard. Very hard. Gaming is not that common in the southwest, and in a town as small as farmington the chances of finding a group is slim. However, in my experience, it is very easy to get people interested in role playing when they live in a town without much to do. Farmington is not exactly the entertainment capital of the world, so people looking for somehting to do would be prime converts to gaming.
As far as game shops are concerned, I don't know much about the north, but if you ever travel to southern NM make sure to go to Koas, a used book store with great d20 selection, both new and used, and lots of used copies of out of print or hard to find games for a steal of a price.

Conaill

First Post
Actually, Los Alamos might be a good gaming town. Lord knows there's plenty of nerds out there. ;) Other than that, yeah Durango looks like it might be your best bet.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
New Mexico?

I drove down this road called a freeway, for 5 hours straight, at 75 miles per hour.
Except for this city called Alberquerque, a small place called Gallop, and a few residences along the freeway, there was ... nothing.

I do mean nothing. Nothing at all. Imagine looking to the horizon, and seeing nothing, for hundreds upon hundreds of miles of lonely road.

Remove ads