• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Spirit of the Century

Lackhand

First Post
So considering that D&D has a "randomizer range" of 20 (1d20) and SotF/FATE has a randomizer range of 9 (+4 to -4), it seems like each unit in D&D should equal 1/2 unit in SotC, or really close there. Especially in editions earlier than 4e, where a single hit can kill you, the condition track sorta backs this up if you count each box as a unit too.
Sorta, but it's not even across that range. The chance of rolling a +4 is 1/81, whereas the chance of rolling a nat'l 20 is more like 1/20 (well, a-duh).
In any case, something like 65% of the rolls are between -1 and 1 in SotC. If you assume that the math should scale directly, bad things will happen, since it's just very, very hard to roll a +4, and even +2s are rare. Thus, each incremental bonus to anything is very, very precious.

Is this something you've actually done & played? How'd it work out for you?

So in this case, 1st to 2nd level should be pyramid of 1, 2 aspects, a stunt, and a single conditoin track box. For every 2 D&D levels, you increase the pyramid by 1, give another 2 aspects, another stunt, and one more condition track box. Standard SotC would be ~10th level, which sounds about right for paragon level Century Club members.

So my partial hack so far has, divide D&D level by 2, round up. Set aspects, pyramid, stunts, and condition track to this number. This is fewer aspects than standard SotC, but I also allow 2 open story aspects that you can fill in in the middle of play to reflect the current conditions of the storyline, and I also allow on the fly stunts. These aspects and stunts give are sorta the basis for what they gain as they level.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be any fun (at least for me). At that point you get _nothing_ with which to define yourself in the early levels. I mean, you could do it, but I'd never play as less than 6th level -- pick 1 skill and two aspects. Go play. I mean, it could work, but your characters would be extremely incompetent and on the whole, pretty similar. I contend it gives too little agency below level, oh, 6.

I definitely did want to peg Century Club to level 10, so I'm glad we meet back up there :)

Things get sorta wacky above 10th level for pre-4e editions, but that is when they always did, hence the E6 hack popularity. The stunts to simulate D&D spells are being worked on. I replace BAB/THACO/Fighty ability with Melee and Ranged skill, and magic ability with a magic skill and some sort of magic aspects. Weapons are bing simplified to unarmed/small/medium/two handed for -1/0/+1/+2 to hit. Armor is being simplified similarly. Magic items give aspects, but not stand alone bonuses.
Cute :) Have you seen the "weapons as consequences" rule? That's my personal favorite weapon model, because otherwise using anything other than the biggest weapon you can get your hands on is far deadlier than bog-standard D&D.

I am also playing with a series of free aspects and stunts that come as a package at chargen to sort of simulate class. These will be along the lines of striker/leader/controller/defender from 4e, with the stunts designed to allow eack character to pull off that role, no matter what skills are taken to support it. Something like controllers get a bonus to adding aspects to enemies, defenders get a bonus to block actions, strikers obviously do a little more damage, leaders can buff/heal in some fashion. Multiclassing is handled by taking aspects/stunts. So a paladin might be a defender, with extra aspects dedicated to religious stuff and stunts dedicated to "leader type healing ability". So it basically is classless, but there is a free package that everyone gets that simulates classes.
Ooo. Fork a thread. Details?

Lackhand

First Post
As Atlatl Jones --who plays the Atlatl Jones in the campaign!-- reminds me, I'd kinda need tools for adjudicating (a lot of) spell effects. There are 3 13th level casters in the group. 4, if I keep a retired angry robot Warforged cleric around as an NPC.

This is something the Mutants and Masterminds handily provides.
pfft, accuracy and fairness in rulings.

It's true.

Though I'd contend that with the addition of two stunts:

Evocation
Prereq: An aspect that indicates your fluency with magic such as Pyromancer or Artificer of a Thousand Quarrels or Student of Demonologist C'heryl.
Effect: You may use Resolve as though it were Guns with trappings appropriate to your aspect. By spending a fate point, you may make an attack against everyone in a zone at -2.

Enchantment
Prereq: An aspect that indicates your fluency with magic such as Beguiling Voice or Student of Tim or Woods Witch.
Effect: You may use Art to place stronger emotional or non-emotional aspects on individuals and scenes. By default these aspects are fragile, though outside of combat success should render them more stable. By spending a fate point, you may make a blatant use of Art while in combat and have it last the encounter.

you cover most of what Mutants & Masterminds would have given you anyway :)
But it's true, there are reasons to favor a heavier-rules chassis.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
And now thinking up Aspects for Joséirus will amuse me for the rest of the afternoon.

"Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestlers"
"Good Catholic Boy"
"I'm Not in a Gang"
"I Can Fix That With Magic!"
"I Had a Nintendo DS"
"The world is my wrestling mat"
"I can do a magic ritual, but I need some refried beans and salsa to draw the pentagram"
"I grapple his soul"

For Chris:
"I hit the girl in the face"
"Stop calling me Douchebag!"

For Atlatl:
"OOOOOOooooooo"
"Tiny dragon body, enormous TARDIS-like brain"
"Khem PO!"
"To make room for more brain, I removed my fear and common sense"
"Possession is ten tenths of the law"
"Ignore that fine print about me owning your soul. The contract is completely valid."
"I mean you no harm. I was only trying to take your blood."
"My culture stole everything it knows, but we only steal from the best"
"Jeeves, fetch my portable hoard"
"Can I bottle 'the absence of life?'"
"I destroyed Leviathan's skeleton, and all I got was this lousy Mark of Cain"

Naturally, Rakhir has "I keep a list of all the people I have killed by letting Atlatl live"

This is Fun!

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Do you flat-out tell players what Aspects the NPC's and environment have at the start of a scene?

Scenes: generally, but it depends.

NPCs: if it's apparent, you can guess. But determining NPC aspects is one of the major roles of the empathy skill.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestlers
In our old Golden Age superheroes game there was a PC called Hercules, Hero of Atlantis.

The concept was based on stuff like the Marvel Boy entry in the Golden Age Heroes Directory.

Jess Nevins said:
Marvel Boy (I). Hercules, the hero of Egypt (don't ask), dies and ascends to Valhalla (don't ask). He's happy there, but one day becomes concerned about the rise to power of the Nazi party in Germany, and so asks Jupiter (the ruler of Valhalla, see) (don't ask) to allow him to return to Earth to fight against that evil. Jupiter grants his wish, and Hercules returns to Earth, reincarnated, in the form of Martin Burns. Burns is born with superstrength, but hasn't done anything with it by the time he reaches adolescence. At that time a package containing a costume--Marvel Boy (I)'s costume--is delivered to the Burns home, and that night a Shadow visits Martin, informing him that he is the reincarnation of Hercules, that there is evil to be fought, and that the weed of crime bears a bitter fruit. Martin goes on to fight crime. He's got superstrength.
First Appearance: Daring Mystery Comics #6 (Timely)

Nameless1

First Post
Sorta, but it's not even across that range. The chance of rolling a +4 is 1/81, whereas the chance of rolling a nat'l 20 is more like 1/20 (well, a-duh).
In any case, something like 65% of the rolls are between -1 and 1 in SotC. If you assume that the math should scale directly, bad things will happen, since it's just very, very hard to roll a +4, and even +2s are rare. Thus, each incremental bonus to anything is very, very precious.
This all is very true, but getting bonuses is much easier in FATE than 4e. The normal curve rolls are interesting, and do tend to cut down on the variance of your rolls, but the range is still there.

Is this something you've actually done & played? How'd it work out for you?
Not a full game yet. Just a little bit of dice rolling for a playtest with a buddy. We want to work out a few more details before we actually play a full game, and I would rather have something more polished and written out first.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be any fun (at least for me). At that point you get _nothing_ with which to define yourself in the early levels. I mean, you could do it, but I'd never play as less than 6th level -- pick 1 skill and two aspects. Go play. I mean, it could work, but your characters would be extremely incompetent and on the whole, pretty similar. I contend it gives too little agency below level, oh, 6.
Yeah, I agree, but we never actually played below 5-6 in anything before 4e anyway. ;) If you are using this method to convert a campaign, you are likely doing it because the characters have some history, and they likely aren't 1st level. I would likely start at a pyramid of 3 with three predetermined aspects and 3 predetermined stunts, with an bonus of 3 stunts from your "class" and 2 "open" aspects to be filled during play. That gives you 6 stunts, 5 aspects, and 6 skills. Definitely a workable character.

Cute :) Have you seen the "weapons as consequences" rule? That's my personal favorite weapon model, because otherwise using anything other than the biggest weapon you can get your hands on is far deadlier than bog-standard D&D.
I have. I like them, but I am going to go with the Faster Combat rules, so I want to leave the consequences in the hands of the recieving party.;) Using a modifier to attack/damage both gets at the fact that a dagger is at a disadvantage to a longword when trying to attack, and will do less damage as well. Armor then also both keeps you from getting hit (like D&D) as well as damage reduction (like how it really works). It seems to streamline things, and with spin increasing the level of consequences, the bonus to attack/damage turns into a bonus to damage/damage reduction if you don't need the bonus for success.

Ooo. Fork a thread. Details?

Quick summary.

One of your aspects will relate to your "class". This is equivalent to the background or war phase in SotC. You answer the question "How did you learn your trade?" and then you get a stunt package for free that is related to this aspect.

There are 4 stunt packages, one each for defender, leader, controller, and striker.

Defender Stunts
Tough- use either Might or Melee instead of Endurance when determining extra stress boxes.
Armored- you can use heavy armor and a shield to full effect.
Defender- +2 to any Block action attempt.

Striker Stunts
Quick- +1 to all forms of movement.
Deadly- +2 to any attack.
Lightly Armored- you can use light armor.

Leader Stunts
Healbot- you can either use the Heal skill at +2 to heal stress or downgrade a consequence, or you can use Heal as a supplemental action.
Buffer- +2 to maneuvers to add temporay aspects to you allies.
Medium Armored- you can use medium armor.

Controller Stunts
Zappy- Use the Magic skill instead of Ranged skill to attack.
Boom!- Take a -1 to your ranged attacks and they can target an entire zone.
Meddly- +2 to maneuvers to add aspects to enemies or the scene.

Probably needs some polish, but it gives a skeleton for the roles that 4e set out. Multiclassing would need an appropriate aspect as a prerequisite, and then you would have to dedicate stunts to get the role stunts that you want.

So as an example, if I wanted to make a dwarf fighter type character, I might do something like this. During the background phase, I take the "Dwarf of Sawtooth Mountain Hold" aspect. Takes care of race. Then I take the aspect "Veteran of the Deepingdelve Siege". I take the free Defender stunt package to relate to this. I might envision this armored dwarf to have risen in rank since the siege, so I could take the aspect "That's Seargent Stumpy to you!!!!" in the last phase, and then dedicate two stunts to the Buffer and Heabot Leader Stunts. We now have a passable multiclass dwarf fighter/warlord. Fill in the skill pyramid and the rest of the stunts, add some basic equipment, decide one Keys for XP (I haven't worked this part out completely) and you got yourself a crumugdeon dwarf vet.

Working on a way to have magical effects do composure then health stress. Not exactly sure how I want to do it. So right now I have a quite a bit to work out to make it a finished product that I actually playable.

Remove ads