D&D General Tell me about your campaign

Greenfield

Adventurer
This going to sound odd, and I promise we came up with this idea before the Pandemic.

There's a plague, known as the Fairy Plague. It's been known before, but it's back with a vengence.

It's called the Fairy Plague because there's something called Fairy Fruit that occasionally shows up in the marketplace. Eating that cures the Plague.

But there are tales that the Fairies caused the plague, and various stories that say Elf blood will cure it. Or Elf Ears. Or any number of other things that make it very unhealthy to be even slightly Fay.

The way it's spreading suggests that someone is intentionally starting it in various cities.

Now, a note on my group's campaigns: We play a style called Round Robin. Someone comes up with a campaign premise, like the one I just laid out. Everyone at the table makes their character, and the city or region that they come from. Each of us can take a turn as the DM. When I'm DMing my character goes NPC, usually off-camera, and the game takes place in my character's home territory. That way I can't mess up plot hooks or critical NPCs that someone else was planning to use.

The result is a varying DM style, and a distinct lack of DM burnout. And everyone gets to play.

The final resolution of the campaign, even the identity or identities of the "Big Bad", aren't known at the start. Even their motivations develop over time as different DMs add to the story.

Remove ads