• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell us about The Book of Unremitting Horror

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I haven't seen it, but if the monsters are anywhere near as good as The Esoterrorists (which is one of the games for which they're intended), they're very good indeed. I plan to be picking this up.

Crothian

First Post
It has a lot of good monsters in it. The book is filled with cool ideas for a modern horror game. Many of the pages can be printed and used as player handouts. They did a great job on this.

DMH

First Post
Geoffrey said:
Also, can can the monsters in it be used very well in a medieval setting?

I sold my copy because I am sick of horror, but it is a really good monster book. There is one or two that have to be rewritten because they require modern technology, but the rest can fit into just about any setting.

I would have to dig it out to talk about a non modern setting, but I loved the book. It is one of the few that has some creepiness to it. Even if you needed to modify it hevily, its worth the work.

*goes digging*

Gothmog

First Post
This is one of the 20 best RPG books I own- great ideas and background material in it. I've used critters from it in my Kult games, as well as a few critters for Deadlands and D&D. About a third of the creatures in the book are more modern-ish in nature, but the others would be easy to slot into a fantasy game. There are 26 creatures in it, each with a 5-10 page writeup as well as very good art and drawings for each creature, including:

Blood Corpse
Blossomer
Clootie
Death Tapper
Dementia Larvae
Dream Terror
Drowner
Feral Drowner
Kooks
Man at the Bar*
Mystery Man
Organ Grinder*
Outsiders
Ovvashi
The Practice*- Mortician*, Surgeon*, Nurse*
Residue Daemon
Scourger
Shatterer
Sisterite*
Sleep Hag
Snuff Golem*
Strap Throat
Torture Dog

* modern setting specific

There are also about a dozen artificats listed- items of occult power. These are not your "pick up and get leet powerz" items though- they are potent, but requires significant penalties and sacrifice to use. Finally, the last five pages have advice on running horror campaigns. All in all, a great book- and if the Esoterrorists is similar to this, I'll definitely be picking it up.

Last edited:

GVDammerung

First Post
Geoffrey said:
Anyone have any opinions or information regarding The Book of Unremitting Horror ( http://www.dyingearth.com/bouh/index.html )?

Also, can can the monsters in it be used very well in a medieval setting?

I have it and use it, but mostly sparringly. It is an outstanding book but some of the monsters are a bit "intense." The fellow who said he ported some of the monsters over to Kult I can completely understand. All that said, "yes," the monsters can mostly be used in a medieval setting pretty much as is or with very minor, mostly background tweaking/fiddling. I would recommend it.

NB - Kult and Esoterrorists (love Esoterrorists) have both been mentioned as thematically similar in some ways. I'd add The Whispering Vault to that list. Still, BoUH is very much of use in D&D, where I mainly use it.

Remove ads