Telling jokes...as good as Intimidate???

Dark Magus

First Post
Intimidate changes the targets attitude to friendly, for purposes of getting information, or whatever.

But, couldn't telling a joke do this aswell? Albeit to a lesser extent.

Now if so, would telling a joke be bluff, diplomacy, or perform?

And what would be/how would you handle the DC?

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Diplomacy with a synergy bonus from Perform (humor).

Though, the right joke could be a form of Intimidate, too, with a similar synergy bonus-- the idea being that you joke about something so callously, with a proper sense of mirth, that they decide that they don't want a piece of your sickness.

Rune

Once A Fool
I'd call it diplomacy or perform, depending on the format. If it's a polite, breaking the tension kind of joke, it's diplomacy. If it's rehersed (or improv-comedy), it's clearly a perform check.

Dark Magus

First Post
Yeah, I ment more of an "on the fly" kind of joke, the kind of thing you'd say to an uptight Barkeep that isn't forthcoming with the info.

Christian

Explorer
Definitely Diplomacy.

Intimidate is good when the subject (a) has a very negative attitude (making for a high DC Diplomacy check to change him to friendly) and/or (b) significantly less powerful than you. It's also a good idea to keep in mind the possibility of future interaction ...

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Though I do agree with Korimyr, in that I think you can also Intimidate by joking. Anything meant to taunt or otherwise humiliate its target is much more a form of Intimidation than anything else.

Remove ads