• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tempest PrC question!

Chun-tzu

First Post
To qualify as a tempest, a character must fulfill the following criteria:

Base Attack Bonus: +9.
Feats: Ambidexterity, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Weapon Finesse (any) or Weapon Focus (any).

It's a nice PrC, but isn't much better than a Fighter. You get some two-weapon fighting feats, including an improved version of off-hand parry (sacrifice attacks from secondary weapon for armor bonus). The only unique ability that Tempests get is Absolute Ambidexterity at level 8, which reduces their penalties for TWF by 2 (so no penalties if using light weapon in off hand, -2 on each if not).

kreynolds

First Post
Chun, don't forget they get a crap-load of off-hand attacks. Currently they are the only class that can get 8 attacks per round without using magic of any kind.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Good point. I forgot that Supreme Two-Weapon Fighting isn't available as a feat.

I do like the class, but it's still very close to a Fighter. It just improves on existing abilities, without really adding any new ones. I'd rather trade in the off-hand bonuses for some NEW abilities, like maybe some kind of special attack usable once a day, to make the Tempest a little less vanilla. Also, they should have allowed the Tempest's TWF feats to be used with double weapons. As it is now, a double weapon fighter has no PrC options to capitalize on using a double weapon.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
And don't forget - off-hand parry is useless unless your off-hand weapon is light. So if you choose to use two long swords, rapiers (my favorite), etc., you're screwed.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Chun-tzu said:
I do like the class, but it's still very close to a Fighter. It just improves on existing abilities, without really adding any new ones. I'd rather trade in the off-hand bonuses for some NEW abilities, like maybe some kind of special attack usable once a day, to make the Tempest a little less vanilla.
Surface thought:
Ya, but see that would require WotC to be actually creating new fighter stuff, instead of just re-arranging bonuses to hit/damage, etc.
That would apparently be too groundbreaking for them. :rolleyes:

Remove ads