Temple of Elemental Evil Boardgame

As part of the whole Elemental Evil roll-out, a new D&D boardgame is being launched on April 30th. Called Temple of Elemental Evil, it "features multiple scenarios, challenging quests and cooperative game play designed for 1-5 players. The contents can also be combined with other D&D Adventure System Cooperative play board games, including The Legend of Drizzt and Castle Ravenloft." The game will be priced at $64.99.

As part of the whole Elemental Evil roll-out, a new D&D boardgame is being launched on April 30th. Called Temple of Elemental Evil, it "features multiple scenarios, challenging quests and cooperative game play designed for 1-5 players. The contents can also be combined with other D&D Adventure System Cooperative play board games, including The Legend of Drizzt and Castle Ravenloft." The game will be priced at $64.99.

DnD_EE_BG.png

marv77

First Post
I hope/wish that this would double as dungeon tiles and minis for the hard cover adventure book. It might be usable as that just by accident, but it would be nice if they would purposely design them to tie together.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the older games are a ton of fun as dungeon crawls.

What I am wondering is about the mechanics. The older games are based on 4th edition mechanics, so will this one have the same mechanics. If not how will that combine with earlier games? If they release rules to port old games to 5e mechanics that would be awesome but lots of work so I doubt they do that.

Also looking forward to what tiles are included in this.

Mearls has said there is no plan to change the Adventure Board Game rules. They will stick with 4E-Lite for these, because people who were into a board game like this liked the rules.

Tommy Brownell

First Post
I think the older games are a ton of fun as dungeon crawls.

What I am wondering is about the mechanics. The older games are based on 4th edition mechanics, so will this one have the same mechanics. If not how will that combine with earlier games? If they release rules to port old games to 5e mechanics that would be awesome but lots of work so I doubt they do that.

Also looking forward to what tiles are included in this.

Mearls indicated in the past that they weren't necessarily throwing out 4th Edition rules (in the context of the Adventure System board games), due to the reception the games had received.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I really enjoyed the older games. To me they're solely a cooperative board game and would advise against buying them if you wanted an RPG. I would advise against it (as written) even if for a dungeoncrawl because it requires constant progress.

Saxon1974

Explorer
Sounds like it's going to be dungeon setting....hope the theme is quite a bit different since Ashardalon already gave us the board game with dungeon tiles.

"In the Temple of Elemental Evil board game, you play as a heroic adventurer. With amazing abilities, spells and magic weapons, you must explore the dungeons beneath the Sword Coast where you will fight monsters, overcome hazards and find treasure. Are you ready for adventure?"

Saxon1974

Explorer
I really enjoyed the older games. To me they're solely a cooperative board game and would advise against buying them if you wanted an RPG. I would advise against it (as written) even if for a dungeoncrawl because it requires constant progress.

Well that's why they are called a board game, they are good for a quick 2 hour one night dungeon crawl that you can play solo if you want too. I don't think they are advertised as "RPG's". Most of these style games have rules to force constant progress to try and keep gameplay time under two hours. There are optional rules if you want to change that up a bit.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Well that's why they are called a board game, they are good for a quick 2 hour one night dungeon crawl that you can play solo if you want too. I don't think they are advertised as "RPG's". Most of these style games have rules to force constant progress to try and keep gameplay time under two hours. There are optional rules if you want to change that up a bit.

I think we're saying the same thing.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The only complaint I have about the adventure games is the way that monsters always win initiative... but there are fixes for that. Everything else about them is great!

Remove ads

Remove ads