Terminator Dark Fate Review (no spoilers)

I think that's a terrible shame. This one is way better than the last three. If they'd just made this one, and not them, the Terminator franchise would be just fine. As it is it's gonna die because the las three are stopping people from seeing this one.

It probably isn't fair on my part. But I also don't go to the movies very often and choose which ones I see in the theater carefully. With Terminator, definitely the last two being bad color my impression (honestly I kind of enjoyed part three, even though it was way below the quality of the first two). But also some of the plot details I am hearing about are a turn off for me as well. Spoiler warning I am going to discuss a major plot detail that is meant as a surprise in the following paragraph.

The whole killing John Connor thing, just removes a major reason why I would want to see the 'real sequel' with James Cameron behind it. I would be interested in following the story of that character and Sarah Connor. I am not interested in getting to know two new characters as the protagonists. That said, maybe I see it on DVD and these characters are compelling enough that they win me over (that happens enough). Its just that plot detail is enough to not have me rushing to the theater to see it. What I was really hoping for was that they would do something that feels like a real continuation of the first two, or a redu of III. But this sounds to me more like a reboot approach (maybe a soft reboot but still kind of reboot). But then I am in my forties and so my taste is probably not the same as someone in their 20s. To me, killing Connor like that in the first beat is gimmicky, it undercuts the second film, and it takes away an important character that I had an interest in following. I could be wrong. It might be a necessary ingredient for something else they are trying to achieve. I'd also be on board for something totally new with Cameron in the helm, directing something he really wanted to do (like he did with the first terminator). But this doesn't feel like that to me from the promotions, ads and reviews I've seen. Again I could be wrong. Usually when I get this kind of impression of a movie, I wait six months to see it because I find that gives me the distance from the mood around it on the internet (both positive and negative) to appreciate it more objectively. For example I wasn't enthused by what I'd heard about Last Jedi, but after all the online discussion had died down and I wasn't being influenced by outside opinions, I sat down to watch it six months later and rather enjoyed it. I am hoping I have a similar experience with the new Terminator.

I enjoyed it a lot and is so far the best attempt at succeeding T1 and T2. It's a shame it is becoming a flop, really.

I think the only part I didn't like was one battle that was a bit over the top modern hollywood superhero action cliché that I just can't quite buy or relate to anymore.
I probably wouldn't have gone this particularly direction story-wise, but... no one is paying me any bucks to make movies, so what do I really know?

R_J_K75

Legend
Well, that was...... Unimpressive.

I just wasted $6 on PPV, I agree. I can only wait for "Indiana Jones: Dark Fate" which Im sure it will be now that Spielberg is not directing it. Im sure Harrison Ford going to ang around so long before he jumps ship too. And whatever happened to King Conan? Last I checked its in development hell with Indy 5 and Fletch Won.

Zardnaar

Legend
I just wasted $6 on PPV, I agree. I can only wait for "Indiana Jones: Dark Fate" which Im sure it will be now that Spielberg is not directing it. Im sure Harrison Ford going to ang around so long before he jumps ship too. And whatever happened to King Conan? Last I checked its in development hell with Indy 5 and Fletch Won.

Better than the last one though.

R_J_K75

Legend
Better than the last one though.

I'll give you that. I rented that one too, I didnt watch the whole thing so I dont remember much.

This one though the thing that really distracts me is the fight scenes. I don't know if its how they film things these days, the FX or CGI but everything look so fake. I watch the original not that long ago and even though the FX were dated they still looked better to me.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'll give you that. I rented that one too, I didnt watch the whole thing so I dont remember much.

This one though the thing that really distracts me is the fight scenes. I don't know if its how they film things these days, the FX or CGI but everything look so fake. I watch the original not that long ago and even though the FX were dated they still looked better to me.

Excessive use of CGI. In fight scenes things tend to look a bit weightless.

T1 and T2 used a lot of practical effects and T3 was often subtle with the CGI.

I liked Salvation a bit better in the rewatch. It's the only one of the sequels that tried something different.

The TV show also holds up well. Almost looked better as well lol.

R_J_K75

Legend
Excessive use of CGI. In fight scenes things tend to look a bit weightless.

That's a good way to put it. That and I think the TVs and projectors are getting to the point where there almost too good. I was watching a football game or a hockey game at my friends house awhile back and it looked weird to the point it was hard to follow. Kind of wish Id have kept my state of the art 2005 CRT Sony WEGA.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's a good way to put it. That and I think the TVs and projectors are getting to the point where there almost too good. I was watching a football game or a hockey game at my friends house awhile back and it looked weird to the point it was hard to follow. Kind of wish Id have kept my state of the art 2005 CRT Sony WEGA.

I think you start getting that uncanny valley effect as well. Something just doesn't look right.

I kind of wish I kept a CRT TV as I have old light guns for Nintendo/Sega and they don't work on modern TVs.

The T-1000 actor in T2 took some bumps and Arnie let him rough him up a bit to make it look good.

R_J_K75

Legend
I think you start getting that uncanny valley effect as well. Something just doesn't look right.

Yep. My brain kind of tweaks out after a few minutes. In another thread we were talking about Dyson Logos' maps and after thinking about it with most of them being b&w it brings the crossed hatched negative space to forefront for me and draws my attention away from the important stuff. I'm not knocking the guy I just finally realised why I dont care for his maps as much as others.

I watched Antman & Wasp recently and thought the FX were pretty decent.

Remove ads