Terrain Effects/Features for a God's Tomb

Riastlin

First Post
So in a little while, the party is going to do battle in the tomb of a long "dead" god. Depending on how things shake out, its possible that the god will be "reawakening" during the encounter (PCs are 19th level btw). I'm planning this as a capstone encounter in a rather lengthy adventure and the battle should be pretty huge in its own right.

That being said, I also think that dynamic terrain makes for the best encounters much of the time (as well as dangerous/hindering terrain, terrain powers, etc. So what, should be in place in the case of a god's tomb?

The first thought I had is sort of a giant sarcophagus (i.e. large enough to allow the encounter to start on top of it, with the lid slowly retracting during the battle.

That then opens the encounter up to a more 3D perspective as the fight starts to happen, in part, on the god. The god will not be a combatant per se, but I'm thinking sort of a "restless sleep" idea with his limbs flailing about, possibly crushing and/or pinning combatants. Gas clouds (sorta like a breath weapon) also come to mind, and then you have just the sheer verticle drops that can accompany something like this (after all, who knows just how big a god's true body really is?)

I'm also thinking that the god's "reawakening" could bring some beneficial effects with it to, i.e. creating things like energy nodes that allow a power to be recharged (i.e. recover an encounter power) or healing font, etc.

But I'm still looking for something to make this really memorable, so I come to you all for ideas (as well as advice on the above suggestions) for making this truly great. The main opponent btw will be a solo dragon (Calastryx) that has previously given the party fits, which is one of the reasons why I want to make the terrain particularly interesting.

fba827

Adventurer
what kind of god is this? that might help with some of the thematics of the terrain effects.

but the first thing that came to mind when i read the above was some sort of aura from the body that doesn't affect the battlefield at the start but as the sarcophagus is slowly opened it gradually begins to affect the combat, with the full force of it being when the combat is actually taking place on it's body. something radiant or necrotic would seem right, the decision of which depending on what the god is all about. with an added bonus that if you spend an action point in the 'glory of the god' (i.e in the aura) then you get some additional bonus.

but yeah some gas clouds near the god's head every 2 rounds (and maybe the rear if your tone is more jovial ;) ) flailing limbs that can knock people prone and/or pin them and/or just bat them (slide) around the battlefield and possibly off the edge of his body. then there is also natural body movement from breathing so maybe bisect the battlefield down the middle of the chest area and anyone on one side, at the end of the round slides 3(? depends on how big your battlefield is) squares closer to that side's edge to an eventual fall (which gives a tactical reason to stay up near the head but subject to a breath attack every other round)

is the god asleep for a reason (like magic from the other gods)? If so, that might affect the PCs by occasionally dazing them (end of every round the is an attack vs Will, Hit and the target is dazed (lethargic) until the end of it's next turn or something until the sarcophagus is completely open at which point that hazard ends.

hmm.. will think about it some more and add something if i think of it later.

Riastlin

First Post
Sorry, suppose it would make sense to add in the actual god. :p

The god is Nerull, part of my take on the Gods vs. Primordials being that its nearly impossible to actually kill them, mostly they end up comatose instead. Part of the fun in this encounter will be that its quite possible that the PCs won't fully realize what is going on (depending on how things play out leading up to it) until its a bit too late to stop the awakening. Particularly interesting considering that a) they have a cleric of the Raven Queen in the party and b) the rest of the party owes the RQ big time.

Your ideas sound great, now if only I can draw the map sufficiently. :p

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Here are a couple ideas pulled from my book Terrain Toolbox

God’s Blood (Sample Level 29)
The slick silver liquid radiates divine power.
Knowledge: Automatic to realize impaired movement. Moderate (DC 31) Arcana or Religion to understand divine boon.
Setup: Squares of god’s blood may be adjacent or scattered throughout the battlefield. There should rarely be more than six squares of god’s blood in any encounter.
Effect: A square of god’s blood is difficult terrain. A character may attempt to move through the blood at normal speed with a moderate Acrobatics (DC 31) check, however if the creature fails this check, it falls prone.

A creature may attempt to draw power from god’s blood to use an at-will attack power from a divine power source or similar powers as a minor action. The creature must be on or adjacent to a square of god’s blood. Tapping
into the power destroys the square of god’s blood.

Unhallowed Ground (Sample Level 9)
Merely approaching the area sends a shiver down your spine and prickles your skin.
Knowledge: Moderate (DC 17) Religion.
Setup: Unhallowed ground can be any size and shape, but generally should not be more than a quarter of the battlefield.
Effect: Undead creatures who are reduced to 0 hit points while on a square of unhallowed ground are not destroyed. Instead, at the start of their next turn they reanimate with 1 hit point.

Unholy Altar (Sample Level 7)
This dark alter is dedicated to a god of death and ruin.
Knowledge: Easy (DC 11) Religion.
Setup: An unholy altar occupies one square.
Effect: The altar is difficult terrain. Additionally, it allows creatures to use the unholy blessing power.

Unholy Blessing (Sample Level 7)
You slice open the palm of your hand, sacrificing your blood to the unholy god.
Daily (Special)
Special: Each creature may use this power once per day.
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Spend a healing surge. Until end of the encounter, any time you make a damage roll, you add 1d6 points of cold and necrotic damage.
This increases to 2d6 points of cold and necrotic damage at level 21.

This last one might be extra fun if the healing surges sacrificed actually help power up Nerull. Oops.

Remove ads