• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Terry Pratchett

drnuncheon

Explorer
LordVyreth said:
Guards, Guards: This is a good example of the 'anticlimatic' endings. The little dragon essentially defeated the novel's villain by altering its body to fart at super-sonic speed, and then the two went off to mate. I thought Carrot ended up being underused as a result.
Really? I always thought that Carrot got 'underused' because Pterry realized that Vimes was so much more interesting as a character.

J

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
drnuncheon said:
Really? I always thought that Carrot got 'underused' because Pterry realized that Vimes was so much more interesting as a character.

J
Right you are. I remember reading somewhere (it might have been the Art of Discworld), that Carrot was originally supposed to be the lead of Guards! Guards!, but that Vimes eventually became more interesting as Pratchett wrote.

Demiurge out.

shilsen

Adventurer
demiurge1138 said:
Right you are. I remember reading somewhere (it might have been the Art of Discworld), that Carrot was originally supposed to be the lead of Guards! Guards!, but that Vimes eventually became more interesting as Pratchett wrote.

Demiurge out.
Sounds reasonable. You do get a sense of that in the novel, though presumably Pratchett redid the earlier parts of "Guards! Guards!" to reflect the change in focus. Carrot is a very interesting character, esp. because Pratchett rarely lets you see what's going on in his head (you often see what Vimes is - and others are- thinking, but almost never Carrot), but he's not a patch on Vimes. I don't think I've ever read about a more consistently pissed-off character than Sir Samuel :)

shilsen said:
Sounds reasonable. You do get a sense of that in the novel, though presumably Pratchett redid the earlier parts of "Guards! Guards!" to reflect the change in focus. Carrot is a very interesting character, esp. because Pratchett rarely lets you see what's going on in his head (you often see what Vimes is - and others are- thinking, but almost never Carrot), but he's not a patch on Vimes. I don't think I've ever read about a more consistently pissed-off character than Sir Samuel :)
Take it from me, its all the plumes. Those stupid plumes.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I'm an on again-off again reader. I like the Guards sub-series the best but his other stuff is good too.

Carpe Jugulum is one of my favorites. "Sometimes you cannot see the Light until you thrust it into the Darkness."

I'm probably misquoting the source, but this statement is a mantra often quoted by paladins I play in D&D.

shilsen

Adventurer
Has anybody here read the latest novel "Going Postal"? I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, so I was just curious. Another one I haven't taken a look at yet is "The Last Hero". Opinions about either?

haiiro

First Post
shilsen said:
Has anybody here read the latest novel "Going Postal"? I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, so I was just curious. Another one I haven't taken a look at yet is "The Last Hero". Opinions about either?

Last Hero is one of my favorite Discworld books overall -- like Interesting Times, you get to see a lot more of Cohen the Barbarian, the art is great, and it's just a lot of fun to read.

Going Postal is quite enjoyable. I'm blanking on his name, but the main character is neat -- and there's a bit more insight into Vetinari, which I always enjoy.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Going Postal is, indeed, quite good. Last Hero is a good story, and even if it sucked it's worth it for the last passage and the picture of the bard...practically brings tears to my eyes. In a good way.

Lost Hero is great just for the patch on their space suits "We Who Are About to die don't want to" :D

And Going Postal also rocks. I also really loved the Wee Free Men stuff, especially A Hat Full of Sky. Fun stuff. I'm going back and rereading the books at the moment...Feet of Clay right now, followed by some Nightwatch. Oooh, yeah.

Remove ads