D&D General Thaco the angry clown... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What? NO! Only with the tables (mmm... tables....) could you get the joy of the repeating 20!

That's right- a first level fighter needs a 20 to hit AC 0, and -1, -2, -3, -4, and -5 ... but -6?

That's a 21 for ya!

I'd like to see Thac0 put that in his pipe and smoke it! Some kind of Johnny Come Lately!
Everyone I knew from 1981 to 1989 (when I started in 1981 to when 2e came out), ignored that table and intuitively switched to THAC0 anyway. Especially since THAC0 was in the back of the 1e DMG on the monster tables anyway.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Everyone I knew from 1981 to 1989 (when I started in 1981 to when 2e came out), ignored that table and intuitively switched to THAC0 anyway. Especially since THAC0 was in the back of the 1e DMG on the monster tables anyway.

I mean, mad credit for getting "intuitively" within three words of "THACO."

....But real ballers have more tables than IKEA.

¯\(ツ)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Thaco the Clown is a mirror into which we must all meet our own reflections...

Or it's just a silly joke, and no matter if they had named the clown or the baby displacer beast Thaco, someone would see themselves in it!

And he’s shilling his stuff in that very thread. Like a clock.
What’s funny isn’t that he’s the clown. He’s not.

What’s funny is that he needs his base to believe that they are the clown and he’s the only one standing in the way of WotC destroying them or something stupid like that.

He needs to be their hero. Their salvation. The one holding the line.

And of course the only way he can keep standing in their way is if the base continues to purchase his games. Monetized narcissism.

And of course by even writing this, I’m letting him live rent free in my head. So there ya go.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Well if it is mocking pundit, they had him as a consultant and he did not suddenly start blowing bubbles. And if so I really look down on people who know a person well, walk arm in arm and then suddenly claim they don’t know them.

for what it’s worth (not much) I don’t think it’s more than a clown-like name for an old mechanic, especially given their talk of Easter eggs of which this would not be alone.

if it’s true and you hate the guy but he was ok to work for you and his positions well known from the start (he is pretty up front), I find that gross.

the whole thing is a guess. Pundit is not so obscure as to be below any notice; he was a consultant for 5e.

but neither is he an industry shaping juggernaut that WOTC is worried about.

THACO is certainly NOT a dig at dudes that like 1e and 5e like me: it’s a damn joke about a clown name. At least that’s how I take it.

did they not have older players in the play test for a reason?

what is less funny and more offensive to me is the broad brush hate to “the OSR crowd” I see here and elsewhere because some of their players are asshats.

Some 5e fans here act like jerks online. So I guess the 5e fandom is toxic? Oh I get it! Your non representative non random sample really holds weight. Haha oh internet!

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Some 5e fans here act like jerks online. So I guess the 5e fandom is toxic? Oh I get it! Your non representative non random sample really holds weight. Haha oh internet!
'Some' is not 'those who hurl themselves to the forefront, present themselves and ambassadors of the brand and go unopposed worryingly often'.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
what is less funny and more offensive to me is the broad brush hate to “the OSR crowd” I see here and elsewhere because some of their players are asshats.

THat's a fair point. I haven't really seen the OSR hate in this thread, to be honest. But looking back I now realize that I am not always clear when, for example, I use a term like "grognard" pejoratively or affectionately (since I'm kinda one myself, after all).

Personally, I'm going to make it a point to be clearer in my language, so as to keep the Old School wheat better separated from the chaff (& asshats).

THat's a fair point. I haven't really seen the OSR hate in this thread, to be honest. But looking back I now realize that I am not always clear when, for example, I use a term like "grognard" pejoratively or affectionately (since I'm kinda one myself, after all).

Personally, I'm going to make it a point to be clearer in my language, so as to keep the Old School wheat better separated from the chaff (& asshats).
I think this is a hard lesson for us all to learn, that we use the same terms interchangeably to mean to opposite things. I am absolutely guilty of that myself and it makes the conversation not only harder for most but impossible for newbies to understand.

Ill join you in making that a point for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads